Whats up with my skimmer?

impur

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on my octopus i had to drill bigger holes in the venturi and also the u that goes from the pump to the skimmer chamber and also take out the needlewheel parts and put mesh down with a plastic panel that i used a hole saw to make super glued it then i was only able to strap down 2 layers of mesh and also use a air pump and finally it was like a champ lots of work think ill go with as deltec or mrc next time maybe a geo

As you can see in the pic its only in maybe 4-6" of water. I have left it to skim over the weekend didn't get any foam all weekend. THis morning there is foam, its up to the top of the collection riser and the neck is brown again. I just hope the stuff gets into the cup finally. I'm going to add the gatevalve mod this week.

I would tend to agree there isn't much to skim, but my Via Aqua skimmer pulled a few cups a week.

Here's how it looks tonight. Still no skimmate after 14 days of continuous use. Becoming frusterated! All reviews say this is a great skimmer. Comparing it to an ASM there is not much difference. I just don't get it. Do you really have to spend a min of $500 on a skimmer to get decent performance? If thats the case i'll just run skimmerless i guess.

100_0079.jpg

Ok i think i've found the problem. The venturi on this pump is crap, just pure crap. I dumped 1/2 cup of RO water down the tube and viola!!! Instant skimmate. The foam instantly went over the riser into the cup.

The venturi is getting clogged after about 2 days. Now i have to come up with a fix.

I made my venturi out of a 3/4" -> 1/2" slip/threaded bushing screwed into a 1/2" -> 3/4" threaded/slip bushing. I drilled a hole into the part 'downstream' from the constricted, and glued in a short length of epoxy tubing for the air supply. It works just fine on my OR2700 NW.

Like this:

venturi.gif

I might have another solution. I was told to put a timer on the NW pump on my deltec so that it would shut off for 10 minutes every day. This allowed the tube to fill with water and disolve any salt deposits. Might try that if you have a spare timer.

Theron

That was in the instructions? Hmm interesting, i think i've heard that before. Makes sense!

Here is what i did, and i am getting much more bubbles in the chamber i think. It seems to be a lot more white than before.

100_0091.jpg

100_0092.jpg

100_0093.jpg

100_0096.jpg

100_0097.jpg

Now we'll see how long that lasts ;)

Well i've got wet green/brown water in my collection cup, maybe 3/4". I really gotta do something about the venturi, it clogs and limits the air into the skimmer after 1 day. I'm gonna just drill it out and use larger tubing. I think the 90 el it makes inside that fitting is the culprit.

I'm going to implement Theron's idea for this week and see how it does. I have a spare timer now that i finally took my xmas lights down lol