Whats up with my skimmer?

impur

About 12 days ago i installed my new Reef Octopus NW200 skimmer. For the first 9 days i had let it run with the water level at about the bottom of the collection cup. The riser neck in the collection cup became lined with crud to the point that you couldn't even see into the neck, but i never got a drop of skimmate. So 3 days ago i cleaned the neck, lowered the water level to about 2" below the bottom of the collection cup and let it run. After 2.5 days still no skimmate, but crud starting to build up inside the neck again. So last night i raised the output riser to its top position and covered 1/3 of the pipe bringing the water level to about 1/4" from the top of the riser in the collection cup and let it run overnight. Still nothing.

I can see fish poop and food swirling around inside the skimmer. It just swirls around, and exits thru the outlet pipe. Never goes to the collection cup.

The foam travels up the neck in the collection cup and there is a lot of foam. It hits the lid of the collection cup, the bubbles pop, and the foam goes back down to the water level in the neck. My $60 PCI skimmer with a broken needlewheel pulled more skimmate in this time than the octopus has.

What gives?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard people breaking their skimmer in by throwing it in the dishwasher....no soap of course. I think it takes off oils or something, don't remember. Try it to see if it works. Nothing to lose. Throw everything except the pump in there.

I might toss the collection cup in there that seems to be where the prob is. I'm gonna take it apart this weekend and do some modding i think. Also need to grind down a couple acrylic tabs in my sump so the thing fits better. Its a really tight fit.

You might check the air inlet at the base of the venturi to be sure it is not restricted. On the same note, how deep is it submerged in the sump water? The deeper the venturi is below the surface, the harder it has to "pull" air down from the surface. It's like trying to use a straw underwater; if you are close to the surface, you're OK, go a little deeper and you can't draw a breath. Just a thought. R2R2

You might check the air inlet at the base of the venturi to be sure it is not restricted. On the same note' date=' how deep is it submerged in the sump water? The deeper the venturi is below the surface, the harder it has to "pull" air down from the surface. It's like trying to use a straw underwater; if you are close to the surface, you're OK, go a little deeper and you can't draw a breath. Just a thought. R2R2[/quote']

The pump is about 6" below the surface. It sure looks like its getting enough air, the venturi is not restricted, and i cannot see thru the skimmer its so full of bubbles. I'm going to try and open up the venturi a little though.

I'll get some pics tonight.

right, that is what I meant sorry. Reef octopus...either way. Miles have you seen the mod threads on RC? In order to make it work really well there are a lot of things you should change.

I added some mesh to the needle wheel and I have seen significant increase in skimmate production.

I agree, there should be more bubble density in the column. I notice the height of your water return is also well above the same model we have running at the shop. These two findings make me believe that either the venturi intake is not being allowed to pull the needed amount of air, or the pump is not moving enough water, or both. What pump are you using for the water delivery to the skimmer? Ryan

Its the pump that came with the skimmer, OTP-3000 Octopus turbine pump. The intake of the pump is slightly up against the side of the sump, that very well could be the problem. Maybe limiting the water into the skimmer. I'm going to grind off a few of these tabs in my sump so it fits better.

I'll also take the whole venturi fitting off and run some vinegar thru it so i know its clean.