SPS crash... ugh!!!

stylaster

ya something is funky in the reef tank for sure. In my reactor i was running tunze ca media (aka crushed coral) and the brightwell mg pellets. When i fire the reactor back ill just stick to the ca and dosing the other parts and see what happens.

also going to get a .5 micron filter for my ro/di just to play it safe with the water i use for the system...

maybe we can all get together at kim and beths and see what we can figure out. Im not too sure on tap water, since we all come from different areas and are having the same issues.... maybe we are getting bad batches of salt mix?

hmmm it is odd why they are so touchy, also looking into the alkalinity, i know that can cause rapid changes in corals, through the course of the SPS crash my dkh was 9-10, so about a 1 point swing, i wouldn't think that would have much to do with it, but right now im questioning every little inconsistency

Well I check my RO/DI water with the TDS meter and all the readings are 0.

I did take my water to SWF and had him test it with his hanna meter for PO4 which was 0.04 so I replaced the GFO, but his Elos kit said my KH was 6.5-7 were 10-10.5 is norm.

I was just starring wondering [language filter] when I looked into the bottom of my reactor to see no water-thats when I took it all apart and the media was mush, I too use the arogonite (crushed coral).

With mine though it seemed more likely to be KH, it has slowly been increasing and I will report back to what happens.

Man I feel your pain becuase it has really been bugging me-I find myself telling the wife-

"The 300 gallon wont look "that" funny full of small 1 inch sticks"

"I can just start over"

WOW-thats all I can say

Besides

Sorry to read this

Agreed, a swing of 1 in KH should not have been the cause-which makes it even more puzzling-I wonder if Shanes LT had KH issues, doesn't sound like it...

i hear ya brad, the worst is going from large colonies back to 1" sticks again... now just have to grow them out for another 3-4 years. I did remove a couple pieces and put them in the garage tank, and they are recovering and looking better. One of my smarter moves. I noticed the birds of paradise colony (little bigger then a baseball) turning brown instead of green while this was going on... pulled it out put it in the garage tank and within a week it has gone back to green... i think this is a sign of KH issue perhaps?

I've been having troubles with my SPS (acros) lately, and wondered if it was chloromines (or whatever) - been meaning to switch to a RODI system for that. But I've also been splitting time between Corvallis and Portland - and not paying enough attention to my mistress (fish tank).

But seems like a bit of a trend going on.

I too had this same thing about 6 months ago and was trying to blame it on my huge leathers. Then I was it was TDS build up in my water as I had my RO filters messed up. Then I thought it was my Ca. reactor dumping to much CO2 and dropping my PH, but I could never catch it down past 7.9.

After losing most sps's and Monti caps, I did mass water changes and started back over and never really found the problem.

Some times I really hate this hobby after going through that stuff.

I too had this same thing about 6 months ago and was trying to blame it on my huge leathers. Then I was it was TDS build up in my water as I had my RO filters messed up. Then I thought it was my Ca. reactor dumping to much CO2 and dropping my PH, but I could never catch it down past 7.9.

After losing most sps's and Monti caps, I did mass water changes and started back over and never really found the problem.

Some times I really hate this hobby after going through that stuff.

Well that explains why I got your leather....LOL

Ok, to all the guys with this infamous problem, let's go by exclusion.

Salt: what salt are you guys using? If the people with problems were all using, for instance, Kent, we will go through the batch number

Water: let's get a test for chloramine and do a few tests where people had sps problems

Alk: high alk is ok when you have nutrients in the tank. When you are low in nutrients, you should run it close to nsw. Anything higher than 2,5-3.0 can cause RTN and STN. I feel like all this new products (pellets, gfo, better skimmers) are giving us the same problems that our friends in Europe were having a few years ago with pushing levels in the high end of the scale and far away from NSW and running LNS or ULNS.

When my stn started I set up the skimmer to skim dry and set it off for a few hours and added more direct feeding. At the same time I lowered my alk.

They stopped to die off and they are now growing back.

I also did a test for AEFW, because my problem was on acros only and I didn't have them.

I would be more than happy to test one of your corals for that

I am sry to hear this is all going on. There are so many good hobbyists here that it is kinda puzzling that there is so many problems going on. All my milli's had full polyp extension 1 day and then the next day it would seem none. I started doing 20gal water changes every 2 weeks and i am starting to get some polyp extension now,finally after a month or so. I did notice that my temp was swinging about 4 or 5 degrees so i stuck in another heater. I only check my temp in the evening, as i have not had much time in the morning to do so and that's when i noticed it was at 72-73 degrees.

Roy when your ready i will get you some frags, i have a nice frag of your Green tipped Elkhorn ready to go.

Those pictures make me sad... poor corals... I'm sorry to hear about all this going on for everyone. I suppose I'll avoid it due to me not having any sps... I wouldn't mind a piece or two to try out but, with everyone with more experience than me are having trouble perhaps I'll wait awhile longer.

LOL' date=' I always just keep blaming Beth (laugh) Sorry Beth it wasn't your fault after all! (shy)Sounds like we need a SPS death and dying support group (sad)[/quote']

Really, it's not my fault!?!?!?

Sorry to hear everyone is loosing SPS, you all are makin me nervous!!(scary) I am just starting up the new SPS tank.