SPS crash... ugh!!!

stylaster

Well i have been fighting an odd SPS RTN event for the past month. So far i have lost 90% of my SPS corals and 2 LPS corals in my main display. Started out with my rainbow millepora colony RTN'd over night.

I did a 25% water change, and changed out my carbon and phosphate remover.

Couple weeks later my Birdsnest colonies started to RTN from the base, or tips, or even right in the middle of the branch!

Did a 50% water change turned off CA reactor., increased skimmer to wetter foam production.

Large stylophora colony is half RTN'd, but seems to be slowly recovering, then lost entire colony of meteor shower cyphastrea and nuclear green candy cane colony.

Couple weeks later lost all but two monti cap colonies.

Finally things have settled down.

During the entire time, all my test kits said my values where at the right levels, i even went and ordered all new elos kits just in case. Measured the same as my existing salifert ones.

Talked to Nick and another guy at rose city said that it could be cholimes in the water, i am waiting to get back a water report for my area.

Long story short, i think im done with sps for a while, i am changing the tank over to a chalice dominated system, it's already about 1/2 way there.

I would like it someone has one a meteor shower cyphastrea frag again.

Ill keep posted if i find out the true source of this RTN episode. The real bummer is that i lost several large colonies, some where the size of volleyballs and that really hurt having to take out those huge white skeletons

I saw that puntific had the same issue, anyone else experiencing this?

here are some pics

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

What about temperture?

With this cold spell I had one show RTN at the base. I have since fragged it in an attempt to save it. So I think the cold has something to do with it.

BUT I also had a heater explode in the tank with the last cold spell so that is what I think started it all.

Sorry to hear that Roy. I don't know in your area, but here in Portland we had some changes in the way they filter the water. So we were told a few weeks ago (there is a thread about chloramides somewhere in the forum).

I had an episode of STN a few months ago. 3 colonies started to die from the bottom. In my case it was the new skimmer and food regimen. I adjusted that and they stop the stn and they are growing back.

I still have backups of some sps that you gave me and free birdnests and other stuff if you change your mind.

Anyway, this is the second case in the last month, so I'm gonna order another carbon filter asap

interesting mike, there was a large sink hole that happened last month about 5 blocks away and they had to shut down our water and sewer lines for 2 days, i didnt think about it, but ran my ro/di to do a water change and things started to happen about the same time

Thank you guys very much for the offer of corals, that is what makes this club so great! Ill take you guys up on it, once im sure the tank is stable again!

And if Roy decides to skip on sps for awhile...................... I'll gladly take your generousity so you do not feel bad or left out!! ;):);)

Thats just super rad of you Mike!! (laugh)

On a serious note..

I cant really think of anything else thats not already been mentioned.

That does suck Roy. SPS can be such a pain. One day they look great and next day bam. I lost a nice colony of red planet but think it was due to the temperature getting too cold. It always feels like someone is stabbing me in the heart when I pull out the white colony. There have been some recent changes in the water quality and the way the water is treated now too.

This is very strange I know Brad Reefjunkie is having the same problem....

That is odd-I see others have had this happen, I started a thread a lttle while back, anyway....

I did some reading on line and everything pointed to flow or KH. I never bothered to check my Ca reactor because I was hearing the solenoid turning off and on. So I decide to check the reactor only to find my media had turned a little mushy and the water was not flowing through it, and my KH was lower than norm.

I got the reactor all straightened out Friday night and replaced my GFO and Purigen as a safety measure.

I hope that the reactor was why my SPS where turning "white"/dying from the base up, time will tell.

I am as surprised to see how many here have experianced the same issue.

Sorry to hear about this Roy-once things get straightened maybe I got some stuff others have not donated for ya

Roy the LT in my office (PJRaneri) had the same issues. SPS dying from bottom up. Started last month he lost all of his SPS and he is also fanatical about his levels and testing. He has gone, like you, to chalice and LPS dominated tank. He lives in the Pearl district if that makes a difference.

I also had a bunch of drum fish float to the top of my tank and birds falling from the sky-

Something very odd is going on.....

Roy how long had you noticed this going on-I saw you said over the past month, but have you noticed any "whiteness" earlier. I noticed mine about 3 weeks ago-not sure but it is when I borrowed the saw from Beth to cut a few colonies, I cut a few more 2 weeks ago and then this last weekend I found the Ca reactor issue-I was putting all my hope/faith/eggs in the reactor basket, I will know better in a about 4-5 days I figure.

Very odd, I don’t see how the chemical tests the Govt. is experimenting with is getting into our tanks ;)

Seriously though, doesn't these seem strange how so many people doing SPS are having similar things happen.

Hmmm???

That is odd-I see others have had this happen, I started a thread a lttle while back, anyway....

I did some reading on line and everything pointed to flow or KH. I never bothered to check my Ca reactor because I was hearing the solenoid turning off and on. So I decide to check the reactor only to find my media had turned a little mushy and the water was not flowing through it, and my KH was lower than norm.

I got the reactor all straightened out Friday night and replaced my GFO and Purigen as a safety measure.

I hope that the reactor was why my SPS where turning "white"/dying from the base up, time will tell.

I am as surprised to see how many here have experienced the same issue.

Sorry to hear about this Roy-once things get straightened maybe I got some stuff others have not donated for ya

I wonder if shutting off my reactor was a bad idea and aggravated the situation. I didn't want to introduce any more potential issues until this was resolved. I am still dosing my 3 part (alk, ca, mg) to keep my levels up

I think ill give it another couple of weeks and if there is no more die off and fire the reactor back up, but will first clean it out and change the media in it