Need help ID'ing small brown "anemone"

PJBilotta

I picked up two of these small reddish brown polyps that appear to be small anemones hitchhiking on other frags about a year ago. They divided after about six months. While generally attractive and well behaved, the four suddenly simultaneously divided again last week, and I now have 8-10. Size is about 1-1.5 cm across. Photo is attached.

What are they and do I need to be concerned with eliminating them?

Thanks for any ID assistance and advice you can provide.

post-5801-141867785173_thumb.jpg

I agree Rick they look like aiptasia. Joe's juice works or kalk paste but my advice PJ is if you can get the rock out and you're gonna go the Joe's juice way, take the rock out. When you kill them you stress them and they release all kinds of badness to seed other parts of your tank with aiptasia. (Dealing with that in my reef)

Pepperment shrimp also work if you don't overfeed your tank and I had success with the solana with peppermint shrimp.

What I really want to do though is get some berghia nudibranchs.

If you can just get rid of the rock. I personally would rather chuck a small rock and be done than try to fight that battle if at all possible. Had 1 show up when I added some rock to my tank, I was told they spread easily!!! and decided removing a rock that cost maybe 7$ was less of a hassle than juice or any treatment that would probably cost more than the rock and gave me no guarantee that those things didn't spread while I was trying to get rid of them.

Both aptasia and majano's will stay in check if the water parameters are in control. If they get a bit out of whack though they have the potential to spread fast.

FWIW, I had one that was in the back of my old tank for about a year that didn't spread. It was in a spot I couldn't easily get to it. When I swapped my tanks I soaked the end of the rock where it was in vineger for 15 minutes or so which killed it. I normally would have used Kalk but I already had the vinegar handy so I used it instead.

Thanks all for your help in ID'ing these - they are definately Majano Anemones.

Manual removal last night has already reduced the population by half. Removal was surprisingly easy given the difficulties controlling these cited in most discussion threads. Peeled right off leaving nothing behind.

On to Kalk paste for the rest, which seems to be the best solution cited in most threads for lmited populations.

Thanks for you swift replies!

Actually as I look at the picture it could be either one since the picture is kinda blurry. Can you get a better picture? Either way you need to get rid of the suckers by joe's juice, removing the rock, electricity, cooking the rock or by showing it the forum and letting me annoy it to death with another poll!;)

I have found that if you take a syringe with boiling water in it, you can melt them without having to use any chemicals or take the rock out (unless you are not able to reach them). When doing this, stick the tip of the needle right in the middle of the majano and push the plunger! The majanos retract pretty quickly into their little hole in the rock, so be quick on the trigger. After getting one, I usually plunge one or two more syringe-full of the boiling water into the spot where it was just to be sure that it all got melted. Good luck

Actually as I look at the picture it could be either one since the picture is kinda blurry. Can you get a better picture? Either way you need to get rid of the suckers by joe's juice' date=' removing the rock, electricity, cooking the rock or by showing it the forum and letting me annoy it to death with another poll!;)[/quote']

this just might work, many of time i have been on the verge of death from the banter and polls(whistle)(laugh)