Buyer Beware: 7Max-GTE

junior

I have been a long time member on here, but haven't been active in the club since it moved from thereeftank. My old tag was Renzema, and many of you that have been here a long time may remember me. Since the club moved to this site I have been out of the hobby for the most part.

Many members have bought items from me and I have bought many items without a problem until now.

About a month back I bought a CO2 regulator & 4' CF hood that was listed by 7Max-GTE.

Here are the threads:

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20418

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20616

He met me in Corvallis which was very nice of him and we talked about my plans for these items. I was putting together a planted tank but wouldn't be setting it up for about another month. He mentioned that he hadn't used the regulator and that if there was a problem with it to contact him.

Well once getting home I was able to test the light to find out that one of the actinic lights didn't work. Was told they all worked but I was replacing them with 6700k lights for the plants so no big deal.

Flash forward 3 weeks later and I am setting up my planted tank. I pick up a CO2 tank and hook up the regulator to find out that it is complete junk. The solenoid is shot and doesn't shut off, the needle valve won't hold a bubble count, one of the pressure gauges doesn't work at all.

So I contact 7Max-GTE by PM and by phone(text message), with no response. I have seen that he has logged onto PNWMAS and posted but still won't respond in anyway.

Its a small amount of money but just didn't expect this from an active member of this site since I have always such great experience and met great people on here.

Just putting this up as a cautionary tale for the next buyer.

Thanks for reading

JR

Buying used equipment can be risky and Co2 regulators are touchy and solenoids are notorious for going out all the time. One thing I have learned if I buy used equipment now is to try it out and make sure it works when you get it.

Beth and I have been very lucky. We bought a protein skimmer from Joel (former owner of Waves) and found out much later that the sicce pump didn't work well and he fixed it for us. Tim (at Westside) was also very gracious with taking back a used calcium reactor we got from him because it kept leaking.

Neither one had to do this for us as it was many weeks later and felt they both went above and beyond.

Everyone in this hobby knows that if it is mechanical, something can break and it eventually does..

Oh I know they are touchy and know it can be a pain with them. When we met I asked if he had tested it and he said no. I told him I wouldn't be able to test it for about month because I didn't have a CO2 tank at the time(was slowly putting the tank together). His response was that he thought it would work perfect but if there was issues to contact him and he would refund the money if it was beyond repair. Well once I tested I contacted him via his phone and on here with no response.

So that is the issue not that it was broken, more of how he is dealing with the situation or not dealing with it. The price wasn't that much so its not the end of the world but just didn't expect to run into a dead beat on PNWMAS since this is such a small community. I have been a lurker/member since 2003 and never had a single problem until now.

I would still keep it if it was one component to be replaced but there isn't one part of it that can be salvaged. More or less its just junk.

Also both items had problems that he didn't disclose when I purchased them, the regulator he couldn't have know but he knew the bulb didn't work. As said before wasn't a problem since I replaced them with 6700k, but would have been if I wanted to use actinic lighting.

I think we can all be lax in our judgement of purchases from this group. Many like myself check in daily. I see so many posts that I feel I know folks. Well the truth is "I" don't. I have had some hard lessons my self lately.

Many consider the club as close friends or even extended family. We have all lost frieds and have a wierd relative.

Buyer beware

Beckie

I think we can all be lax in our judgement of purchases from this group. Many like myself check in daily. I see so many posts that I feel I know folks. Well the truth is "I" don't. I have had some hard lessons my self lately.

Many consider the club as close friends or even extended family. We have all lost frieds and have a wierd relative.

Buyer beware

Beckie

Thats funny and all so true

Well one thing I have learned is it would be very helpful to get the other persons side of the story before we start the flamefest...lol. At thiis point we don't know if there wss a family emergency or what. As far as being logged on, people think I'm onhere all the time because I never log out of my computer. Are u out there 7maxgte??

He came online and posted a few posts. So I know he was on here for a decent amount of time.

Also have his phone number, which I have tried to reach him on.

No need for a flame fest, just a warning to the next buyer to be careful. I am sure he is a decent guy because up until this point he was very nice. I think its that he no longer has any tanks so he just give a [language filter] about keeping a good reputation.

A few of these posts were after I contacted him on via phone and he has logged on 3 times since sending him PM's.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20916

• 2 weeks later...

I think this post on his page more or less explains his opinion on the matter. He posts his opinion on madmike buying a dying/stressed fish.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20928&page=2

Oh and still to date never heard from him and he has been posting on here.

I have since purchased another regulator from a local and it works perfectly. Guess there is always a bad apple in a bunch.

Really-still going on with this

7MaxGTE? Are you out there?!! Would you like to make a comment?

I"ll reply for him-other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Mind your own business people and stay out of mine, or better yet, get a life you bunch of aqua drama reef geeks-I'm so glad I am not in Portland-(puke).

Oh and I got another fish for sale-rofl

Anyway thats about it for that-

except for-nopity.gif

bigblue.gif

My bad, I thought this was the same drawn out "fish Story"

Never buy anything used from ANYONE without testing it first or asking "what if"

I"ll reply for him-other_beatingA_DeadHorse.gif

Mind your own business people and stay out of mine, or better yet, get a life you bunch of aqua drama reef geeks-I'm so glad I am not in Portland-(puke).

Oh and I got another fish for sale-rofl

Anyway thats about it for that-

except for-nopity.gif

bigblue.gif

My bad, I thought this was the same drawn out "fish Story"

Never buy anything used from ANYONE without testing it first or asking "what if"

(laugh) This is the small world of the Pacific Northwest Mind Anyones Situation. (laugh)

Best behave Brad because word gets around..(whistle)

One thing I have learned is be very wary of buying used equipment unless your a mechanical genius (not me).

By the way Junior, maybe he 7max will give you a free hotdog for your trouble...(laugh)

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20343

7Max is a great kid, he's 19 and has been going through some ups and downs. I will let him know about the regulator and to get ahold of you Jr. I like 7max so much if you want, I will refund your money if you want.

Clay

Now that is something more than is ever needed Clay but you never disappoint my man!

Thanks for stepping up but I'm sure that's not necessary.

Let's change the thread title to Clay is the man!(clap)

I have talked with Max about this and there are always 2 sides to every coin. Lurker with 9 posts since 2006? Hmmmmm? Yes, max has posted since and I think he is now handling it ( silence is golden,duct tape is silver) more like an adult than I am at twice his age.

I'll split it with you clay to make it go away! I'll even drive the $20 up to corvallis like Max did.

• Like 1

I have talked with Max about this and there are always 2 sides to every coin. Lurker with 9 posts since 2006? Hmmmmm? Yes, max has posted since and I think he is now handling it ( silence is golden,duct tape is silver) more like an adult than I am at twice his age.

I'll split it with you clay to make it go away! I'll even drive the $20 up to corvallis like Max did.

Alright... Now it's the Jon and Clay are the best thread...(clap)