Oregon tort or not?

siskiou

After looking at some pics online, I'm now starting to wonder if what I bought as an Oregon tort actually *is* one.

Most of the pics show a solid blue coral, while mine has some green.

I have a pic in my frag sale thread, but for some reason it won't let me add one here.

I'll give it another try later on.

I also have an "oregon tort" that is not all blue/purple. I don't remember where I got it. It is purple where it gets really high light, but where it is in the shade it turns more of an off-white/greenish color. That just tells me that I need to put it higher in my tank and more directly under the light.

dsoz

I do, but for some strange reason I can't post pics anymore.

Whenever I try the attachment button or the "insert image" one, absolutely nothing happens.

There *is* a pic in the Classified thread, if you wanted to look over there.

Nope, it's turned off for this site.

And I didn't have any trouble this morning, but now it's a no go, no matter what thread I try posting a pic on.

Went back to the frag post where it worked this morning, but can't post pics there anymore either.

And it isn't just pictures. None of the other buttons work for me, either.

No smilies, font changes, anything.

Okay, the picture posting problem seems to be firefox related (even though it worked fine with FF for years, up til this morning).

I can post pics and use all the other buttons in IE.

So here is the questionable tort, or actually two of them:

Both are about midway up under T5s, in a 120G tank.

post-46-141867754487_thumb.jpg

post-46-14186775449_thumb.jpg

there are couple different oregon tort out there some have green in it, but also depend on your lighting and placement of the coral, same thing with cali tort it could have some green in it or it could turn all purple or blue depend where you put it, also weekly supplement it's very important.

Westside Aquarium

Tim

i have given frags of the or tort and seen it morf into different colors or growth patterns depnding on the tank it gets put in.

For example I have the true tyree purple monster when i took down my 330 for a move I gave travis a frag so i could get one back later.

Now i have a 200 sps and my PM looks different than it did in my 330.

Same coral just slightly different conditions

i think the growth of yours looks like the or tort its just greener then most

I've seen the OR tort green at the base and the tips that deep vibrant blue. In fact mines been that way before i know its OR tort.

Here is the cali tort. A little different growth pattern. The cali tort is thinner branched.

Cali tort

100_2833KDC.jpg

OR tort

100_2823KDC.jpg

• 3 months later...

It looks like Oregon tort in structure.But I can't see it real well. As far as color they can be many shades of blue. The healthy ones are unmistakable. But we have a rather nice colony in now getting it's color back after some mistreatment. It's dark purple now. Tips are changing to the magic blue allready though. Tim is nursing it back for a friend.