3 side by side comparisons.

Hoss

I just tested three alk test kits side by side: API, Red Sea, and Salifert. Here are the results:

Red Sea: 8.7

Salifert: 10.9

API: 13.5

So there you have it. Three test kits, three VERY different results, however, only the Salifert test came with a standard of 7.2 to check the test against, and it did indeed check out, meaning that if the standard is ACTUALLY 7.2, then only the salifert kit is testing anywhere close to the actual value. In the interest of accuracy, I tested the red sea with the salifert standard and it was indeed reading about 2 points too low. I would have tested the API as well but I ran out of the standard solution, and besides, I already know that the API test is junk since it already helped me crash my tank(clap)

I have a second salifert test coming in the mail, and when it arrives I will test both saliferts side by side to see if they are consistent with each other. Stay tuned.

Is there anywhere where you can buy standards to test against??? I want to know how off my alk and calcium tests are and then adjust for them when I get the reading. Does anybody know if the tests are linear as in if your API tests reads 10 on ALK for a 7.2 standard you can therefore deduct 2.8 off all your readings in the future to get your correct value?

Impur-

"Crazy. I've always had decent luck with API alk and calcium tests. Usually right on par with Salifert.

Of course there is also that bad batch of Salifert out there....."

I too have always had good luck with API. When I worked at a pet store we tested them against salifert tests and nothing seemed too far off.

Impur-

"Crazy. I've always had decent luck with API alk and calcium tests. Usually right on par with Salifert.

Of course there is also that bad batch of Salifert out there....."

I too have always had good luck with API. When I worked at a pet store we tested them against salifert tests and nothing seemed too far off.

That surprises me, I have had the same poor luck with API and as a result I bash that brand when anyone asks "what test kits are best"

PO4 and No3 were the same inconsistency for me-against Salifert and Elos

Well I got my second Salifert test kit, and both Salifert tests read the same. I think my number one problem with the API test is that you're counting drops, and there's no way to guarantee that each drop will be the same volume as the last, and the drops appear to come out easier when the bottle is full vs when it is half empty. Also, if you use the test as directed you only get results in whole numbers. I much prefer the titration style tests that you can read to 2 decimal points.

Well I got my second Salifert test kit' date=' and both Salifert tests read the same. I think my number one problem with the API test is that you're counting drops, and there's no way to guarantee that each drop will be the same volume as the last, and the drops appear to come out easier when the bottle is full vs when it is half empty. Also, if you use the test as directed you only get results in whole numbers. I much prefer the titration style tests that you can read to 2 decimal points.[/quote']

It is also important when you are using the drops, to hold the bottle perfectly vertical. If the bottle is at an angle, the test will not be accurate.

Good Advice! I like to check my readings with a second kit if things seem wierd or just to verify.

It is also important when you are using the drops' date=' to hold the bottle perfectly vertical. If the bottle is at an angle, the test will not be accurate.[/quote']

I would not recommend SeaChem there test kit are not accurate and inconvenience. The test kit is a tray with multiple cups in it. You have to scoop the right amount of reagent for each of the cup section. The hardest part is reading your results!! Not recommended. I like Salifert but if you consider spending alittle more for test kits, i recommend Elos testing kits!

It is also important when you are using the drops' date=' to hold the bottle perfectly vertical. If the bottle is at an angle, the test will not be accurate.[/quote']

See, that is my problem with them right there. You have to hold it just perfectly, and squeeze it with just the right pressure, and not shake the drop off early by mistake, and not accidentally drip a little bit in when you are removing the dropper...there are just too many margins for error. I often wonder if there is a way to use the API test as a titration style test to get a more accurate result.

API, RedSea, and Seachem are all I have used and they have worked great.

EVERYONE should know that ANY test kit can be bad. Someone on the WMAS site recently was talking about how his API test was so far off. He had assumed that Salifert was better because it costs more. After testing with multiple other test kiits, the API was right on and the Salifert was off. Higher cost doesn't equal better product.

I'll buy cheap and compare results with other test kits. Any test that works well and is well taken care of should give many great results. But if it does not test well, I would take it back to where I purchased it and demand a refund.