Skimmers?? Budget $400

impur

I'm looking to upgrade skimmers for my new cube. I'm going to pickup the glass this week for it!!!!! I want to upgrade my skimmer from a Octopus NW200 with a few mods. I'm really intrigued by the cone skimmers. A few out there are in my budget range of about $400. Could anyone with some experience with a cone skimmer chime in and let me know what you think about it??

Pics would be great!

Thanks!!!!

I have never tried any of the newer cone skimmers but I can say that the older style pyramid skimmers and what not were a total flop IMO.

I have an Octopus skimmer now and it is AWESOME. The only other skimmers I have tried that I would suggest over them are the Aqua-c skimmers, however these fall flat on their faces in a efficiency test against the Octopus, but are very strong runners.

I have never tried any of the newer cone skimmers but I can say that the older style pyramid skimmers and what not were a total flop IMO.

I have an Octopus skimmer now and it is AWESOME. The only other skimmers I have tried that I would suggest over them are the Aqua-c skimmers, however these fall flat on their faces in a efficiency test against the Octopus, but are very strong runners.

These aint your gran-daddys pyramid skimmers :)

Those SWC ones loook sweeeet for the price.

All I can say is after having my ATB cone I will never go back to a reg skimmer again. They work great and have not had issue one with it. I know it is not in your price range but you might be able to find a used one. But those SWC ones look like they will do the trick. Somebody get one and let us know how it works out:D

Buy an MSX200, sell the Sicce pump, then by a Askoll 1500. Should come in right over $400 after selling the Sicce pump...

Or if you are set on a cone, the best bang for you buck is the Royal Reef CS200:

http://royalreefaquariums.com/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=76&osCsid=4f37381bb9be292908273831197ba345

I currently have one. I bought it for my new 90g, but the skimmer went out on my 36g so I had to swap it in. Its doing okay, but its obvious its drastically oversized. I am expecting much better performance on my new tank with a heavier bio-load.

Well spent an hour or so reading reviews on a few different cone skimmers. I decided to jump right in and reserved one of the SWC160 cones!!!!! Tough to beat $250 shipped for a cone skimmer.

Thanks for the suggestion Ryan ;) Now i'll have an extra $150 for my light budget :D

That's a sweet price for a cone! What kind of pump does it use? Looks very similar to the bubble magus design.

I'm also in the market for a skimmer, and have been looking at one of the super reef octo with the bubble blaster pumps. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on the xp2000.

Well spent an hour or so reading reviews on a few different cone skimmers. I decided to jump right in and reserved one of the SWC160 cones!!!!! Tough to beat $250 shipped for a cone skimmer.

Thanks for the suggestion Ryan ;) Now i'll have an extra $150 for my light budget :D

Sweet! I have been watching the review on R2R of that skimmer. Looks great! What sized tank is it going on?

Yeah Im gonna get one too :) Seems like a smokin little skimmer for the price. It's funny to remember what $250 would get you back when I first started a SW tank about 4 years ago :) Its amazing how far skimmers have advanced. Later

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a bubble blaster 3000 for my MSX200--I wanted to dump the Sicce, and go for an Askoll...I even called Marine Solutions and discussed my plan...they told me I'd be happier putting a Bubble Blaster on a 200 over an Askoll...he could have had a sale but opted for customer service!!!

I haven't tried the blaster out yet as I am tearing down my tank next weekend and putting in a new sump and figured why deal with adjustments twice...I'll let you know...cone skimmers may be all the rage but I'm not sold entirely on them yet....a well built skimmer with a dynamite pulling pump is what you want...I think you will be happy Miles...

DrMerle