Quite tank

Frank

I have an internal duroso and an external herbie. The internal duroso is a bit quieter. IMO the herbie is pretty much a duroso with an air valve. So with the hole in my duroso's I incude a hose with an air vavle for a similar affect.

The reef just has a herbie as a safety drain, or if I need to power a reactor.

JMO

I built this setup based on the Herbie/Bean animal design found here http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310585

The short pipe is the siphon, the durso looking one is the secondary I did not do a third. The siphon has a ball or gate valve, when left open will suck air and water but as you close it the water level rises to a true siphon. you can set these at any height to control the noise of the water flowing in. the second/durso has an air hole or line but so little water is flowing it makes no noise, if the siphon gets clogged and the water rises enough to cover the air inlet on the second it will start a siphon and handle the same amount of flow, the details are in the thread

proptank1.jpg

This can be done on almost any overflow, I just did it on my 180 with 4" x 5" x 24" tall center overflow. the tank came with a 1' bulkhead for a drain and a 1/2" for a return line which I haven't used for years (capped off). I built a mockup of the overflow and tested it out first. the 1/2" with a 1" riser would handle the flow when the 1" siphon was capped at about 1800 gph. I do have a 1-1/4" drain drilled at the top I put in when I had a Durso just in case.

To get an Idea of the flow these will handle the tank above (24"x 18"x16") is running a Genx 40 with basically a 3/4" drain and a Weir overflow