Longest leaving a tank unattended

mytshall

When I leave for a week I use my ehem fish feeder it drops some sprilina flake in twice a day. 39.99 at your lfs I also bought a 1.99 floating feeder ring this attaches to glass of my tank and keeps the flake trapped in one spot until it sinks or the fish gets it. If not it would all just go over my overflows.

I know of a business in So Cal that closed it's doors for almost a month, when we went in to clean it out everything was still alive. He had a pretty good size top of system and crazy sponge grew during that time....then again, some people leave them for a week and everything dies....kinda like luck of the draw.

I left mine for two weeks and everything was fine. You should over feed like a week or two before ya go so they are good and fat! I usualy feed once a day but I feed morning and night. When I got home everything was fine. I did have a ato that I was using of 10 gallons and knew it wasnt going to be enouph so I hooked it up to my RO/DI at the time and SOOOOOOOO nice!!

I use a Current USA auto feeder. It works great. I left my tank for a full 2 weeks last summer during my vacation, and it worked great.

My tank is fully automated though (dosing pumps, Aquacontroller, ATO, chiller, etc...), so that helped a lot.

Out of town

Thanks for the input. What type of auto top off are people using. I had originally planned to install one but heard a couple horror stories of turning saltwater to freshwater tanks. I was thinking about using a float switch on my controller to power an aqualifter pump hooked up to like a 5 gallon jug. I usually go through about 1 gal/day.

As for the autofeeder do they have some sort of timer so i can set my pumps to be off? Does anyone have one I can borrow?

Last question i've been waiting to hook up my calcium reactor until I had gotten the controller. The controller will come one day before I leave. Is it smart to hook up the calcium reactor before I leave or should I wait so I can dial it in.