Madreefer's 180 gallon

MadReefer

Attempting a more concise write-up of my tank

This tank has had some salt water in it since about 8/31/2009. I know many ways that I would like to make this system better but I am VERY happy with it considering how much money I have spent. Someday I might have more money and be able to set it up the way I really want.

180 Gallon glass used tank. I resealed the whole tank and built a coast to coast overflow with black acrylic. It still has towers in each corner but with a coast to coast piece that stretches between the towers.

I have one of each Koralia 2, 3, and 4 for additional flow. I would like more but that is what I have now.

My live rock is: 50 pounds of new Utah rock (LBTR); 45 pounds of new Fiji base rock; 45 pounds premium Fiji rock that is two years old; and 40-50 pounds miscellaneous rock that I accumulated over the years.

I guess my sand is about 200-300 pounds of fine Utah oolite sand.

I have 3x 250 watt stealth heaters, one in the sump and two in the back of display.

Lighting: 1 250 watt basic Odyssea fixture; 1 Corallife 216 watt (4x54) T5 and I’m not sure of the bulbs but 2 daylight and 2 actinic; 1 Odyssea 3 foot 4x T6 HO fixture with 3 daylight and 1 actinic.

Sump is a Rubbermaid tote that is 55 gallon total volume. I have a Remora Pro skimmer with a mag 9 pump. Chaeto fills most the space with room for one Maxi-jet 1200 for extra flow and 2x Rio HF 12 for returns. Also I have a maxi-jet 900 or 1200 pumping water to the mangrove bucket. The mangrove bucket is a 7 gallon bucket. It is about ¼ full of sand and has about 14 mangroves that are growing nicely. The drain is placed about half way up the side of the bucket. The mangrove bucket is in the window and gets a good amount of sunlight. The sump has a 65 watt CF spiral twist bulb over it; I think the spectrum is about 6500K.

I built the stand myself out of 1x pine, wood glue, liquid nails, and coated with outdoor polyurethane.

I connected two 5 gallon buckets with bulkheads and plumbing for an ATO reservoir that drains to a float valve drilled onto the side of the sump.

I use BulkReefSupply.com #1 2 part mix at about 100ml per day.

And that is about it.

I will have to detail livestock later.

fishstuff067.jpg

I'm not sure what to call that coral. I got it from snowpunk.

There are a few in there I recognize. Glad to see everything thriving in there. Your Kole tang and bangii cardinal are still doing great.

I don't remember the name right now of that one but it looks and grows like a Montipora except that the polyps extend a little further and the base grows more like a chalice. It starts with an H but I forget...

• 2 weeks later...
Nice looking tank!

I want some of your grandis palys want to do a trade? I got some nuke greens, african blues or tubbs blues all fragged and ready to go

Thanks

I will be fragging them in the next month or few. Maybe we can work out something, I'm in Utah so it will have to be shipped.

• 1 month later...

Some updated pics. I still haven't done a water change. SG has dropped to 1.024 over the last 5.5 months from 1.0255. Fish and corals are growing fast.

6monthish065.jpg

6monthish069.jpg

6monthish080.jpg

6monthish092.jpg

6monthish116.jpg

6monthish138.jpg

6monthish138.jpg

Here is a picture that shows the surface skimming of the coast to coast.

6monthish160.jpg

6monthish166.jpg

6monthish172.jpg

6monthish192.jpg

These next two photos show why buying a used tank can suck.

6monthish196.jpg

6monthish196.jpg

The algae in the sump has stopped growing but I don't think it's an issue because nuisance algae is not growing in the display.

6monthish203.jpg

I don't know what to make of the way this short tentacle plate coral is looking. The tentacles are showing much more than I thought they would.

6monthish208.jpg