Danik's fish room/300gal in wall build

Danik

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to see this in person last night. Really impressive - some very nice specimens there. Good to meet you in person' date=' Dan![/quote']

Thanks for coming out, it was nice to meet you and I hope you like the purple, green and orange monti that you got from me.

Hey dan' date=' what did you decide on for lighting?[/quote']

Mike, thanks for letting me borrow the radium bulb so I can see if I like the color. I had Bob (lowman) get me three 250w radiums. I like the color alot. Your new set up is getting me intrested in T5 only set up.

Hey Dan, when are we going to get some updated pictures? I'd love to see more pics of your plumbing as well.

TIA

My fish room is still a mess, I am just wating for a string of days off so I can get somethings in order. But your welcome to stop by and check out my little set up.

• 2 weeks later...
I just went through this again an it is an awe-inspiring build' date=' I'm looking forward to finally having an excuse to get out to your house Dan lol.[/quote']

thanks jgf86123, i changed some stuff around and put in new sps and gorg colonies. just have to find some time to take some pictures and update this build.

Nice set up, I've been watching since day one and need to ask about the design.

Why do you have the opening in the wall the size you do, it looks like there is about a 1 foot gap from the top off the tank to the wall?

I don't have more room in my house but could easily do the in-wall. I say easily only meaning it is something I can build "easily" it would still be a large project as it would mean me doing a complete remodel of my family room-which I have been wanting to do for YEARS.

Another question, do you have a dedicated breaker or breakers just for that room, I figure I would add a double pole 50 amp to my box dedicated to just the "fish room"-I always believe in a little over kill-Just in case

Anyway curious as to why you did it that way, there has to be an advantage or you have something you put to cover it up-I would think the lights would be "BRIGHT"

Thanks for the thread, it has shown my wife what I am describing-and is making it an easier sell!!!

Why do you have the opening in the wall the size you do, it looks like there is about a 1 foot gap from the top off the tank to the wall?

Coming from someone with an inwall the answer is easy, you cant arrange the tank from the back, it takes 2 people ( yelling) and even then it never looks as good as front loading.

Hes going to build a front cover, you owe it to yourself to see this tank in person!

I don't have more room in my house but could easily do the in-wall. I say easily only meaning it is something I can build "easily" it would still be a large project as it would mean me doing a complete remodel of my family room-which I have been wanting to do for YEARS.

Another question, do you have a dedicated breaker or breakers just for that room, I figure I would add a double pole 50 amp to my box dedicated to just the "fish room"-I always believe in a little over kill-Just in case

Anyway curious as to why you did it that way, there has to be an advantage or you have something you put to cover it up-I would think the lights would be "BRIGHT"

Thanks for the thread, it has shown my wife what I am describing-and is making it an easier sell!!!

for the gap above the tank and why its the that size, when i was planning my in-wall build the tank had to be accessed from the front to ease cleaning, feeding the fish, tank down photos and aquascaping. i wanted an opening not too big but big enough for me to get to the tank. i looked at different in-wall build threads on RC and 12" would come out great.

I had electrician pull 3 more separate 20amp circuits. that making 4 total 20amp. i only use two of them now. i think 50amp is just over kill and if you use a power strip, they are only rated 15amps and would trip above 15amps.

and yes iam currently working on the trim for the tank, it will be all black.

the plan is to have a ultra quite set up and it's coming to be that way:D.

i will post pictures later this week.

thanks

Danik

i think 50amp is just over kill and if you use a power strip, they are only rated 15amps and would trip above 15amps.

Not sure what I was thinking-Its not like the hot tub I wired up-DUH

Thanks for the reply-Ya this is a very nice set up you are working on. I have since read a few threads on those who did not have an access from the front-worst thing they ever did (or did not).

My is far off but I can almost see it in the horizon-LOL

• 3 weeks later...