SE or DE.....that is the question

CA2OR

SE or DE.....that is the question  

1. 1.

• DE
    • SE

I am curious....some of you guys have SE and others like myself have DE....but what is better?

On a side note....why is it better?(scratch). I have never understood this. I mean I know electric ballasts are better than magnetic....aren't they?

And where does HQI fall into the mix?

Anyway....what do you use and why?

DE are built to run on HQI ballasts, which consume more power (about 250 vs 330) and put out more light. Not more efficient, just more power in -power out. SOME SE bulbs are built to run on HQI ballasts (like Radium 250W, but NOT the Radium 400W). Some people like to overdrive a normal SE bulb with a HQI to shift the color and get more light out of the bulb. This will decrease the life of the overdriven bulb. DE bulbs require a glass shield to filter the UV. SE bulbs have the glass shield built in, so none required. The general opinion is that there are more SE bulbs to choose from, but if you have a DE that you like that may not matter to you.

Hope that helps.

I voted single ended, not because it is better but because it is my preference. I feel I get better spread out of single ended setups, primarily because I can be more selective about reflectors. I also love to run 400w SE Radiums on an HQI ballast. Amazing color and growth. I currently have a DE 250w fixture over my 90g and have to say that I have been impressed with the output of the 250w DE bulbs in comparison to my other 250w single ended bulbs not on HQI ballasts.

Why is SE better? I would think DE would be better....

Because I run SE's and I always have the better stuff:p. My stuff is always the bestest and if you don't believe me then just ask me!(laugh)

I really have no clue what is better and why but I would love to hear why one way or the other.

(help)I have no idea what you guys are talking about.....

A little rundown for ya Kevman...

DE=Dual ended bulb

This bulb has connections at both ends and is about 1/4 the size of the SE bulbs. I think they are about 4" long and about 3/4" wide. They are much easier to find room for on smaller tanks.

321.jpg

SE=single ended bulb

This bulb only has a electrical connection at one end. and is rather large. I would say about 10" or so in length and 2" to 2.5" around maybe. the one on the bottom at least, the top one is much wider.

123.jpg

when i worked for PFO lighting i found out the DE and SE are the same the only difference is the outer sleeve for the SE bulb. The de's are nice because you can fit them in a smaller area' date=' other then that they are the same.[/quote']

Now that is a helpful answer. Thanks, Roy.

I voted DE because that's what I have on the fixture I bought (but don't yet have installed - still on T5's right now). After seeing a number of setups with the 250W DE Phoenix 14k bulbs, I was sold.