leopard wrasse

Mr S

Ive got 3 leopards in my tank,, well,, I have a bipartis, male bipartis and a potters. Yes they are very tricky,, you need lots of PODS!

If you can get them to last the first 4 weeks you are good, often though, they tend to shoot into the sand never to be seen again.

Pack there bag with sand,, or DONT bag them,, keep them in the day light to help keep there day/night cycle. This seems to help keep them from diving into the sand when introduced to the tank. I wouldnt cut the lights either, just leave them normal.

If they swim around the day you get them, likely it will be fine.

IMO!

I have one love him he eats flake food with all the other fish. I did a sand conversion not too long ago and he buried himself and i kinda forgot about him and he almost got sucked into my shop vac and was burried in the sand with no water for quite awhile and lived through it all so mine seems pretty hardy

Melanarous wrasse. I have found that leopard wrasses are delicate and tend to die.

2nd this one, they are great. I have one now and it will eat anything small that moves. I bought him to kill some Nudi's and he did just that, and then took care of thousands of bristle worms too. He is a machine and is one of the most colorful fish with a great pattern to him. Don't get me wrong, I think the leopard wrasse is right up there for me in the top three but the Melanarous

MelanurusWrasse2.jpg

is a work horse along with the beauty. Two of my other favorites are the red tailed tamarin

Anchr_f0.jpg

and the yellow tailed tamarin

57464939.DPP_1839.jpg

That melanarius is a pretty sweet looking fish. How spendy? Also thinking about doing a school of blue tangs in the show tank. Start with real small ones and have a good flow. The show tank is a cube with the overflow in the middle of the tank so they can swim around in a circle. Any thoughts. Don't like chromies and anthias seem real sketchy for survival rate. Remember they are unsupervised over the weekends. Thanks for the help peeps!!!

talk with Garret, he is local to you and can get any fish any other store could get you but he charges less. That's where I got mine. That picture isn't actually mine(I wouldn't have a chromie ever!(laugh)) but mine looks identical. They are pretty cheap actually. The blue tangs will probably school for a while if you get them small enough but eventually thy will find they have no predators and start branching out on there own. Beyond that, once they do that and get big enough that they have to always search for food they will probably become more aggressive toward one another. Unless you have some frantic active fish to keep the schooling fish a little on edge, I think most of them will eventually stop schooling. Think fire fish, cardinals, anthias maybe. They all seem to be a little more social with each other for the long haul.

have one in a 45 gal with no probs, but I just rock harder than you reef geeks hahaha

Joel would know though since he is the wrasse guru and is obsessed with them!

I'm glad the leopard wrasse that you grabbed yesterday from me is doing well in your 45 gallon tank.

I have had many leopard wrasses in my tanks. One of my favorites fish .

It is true, all the macropharyngodon wrasses are a little touchy in the beggining. As long as they start eating, they become model citizens.

I picked this guy up a couple weeks ago from Rose City. He is doing great and has quickly become our favorite fish. He's as peaceful as can be, and is out most of the time swimming around picking stuff off rocks and the tank walls. Now he has started eating Formula One and Hikari pellets as well as cyclop-eze so I think he'll do just fine.

4020394683_0fd55c1caa.jpg

I picked this guy up a couple weeks ago from Rose City. He is doing great and has quickly become our favorite fish. He's as peaceful as can be, and is out most of the time swimming around picking stuff off rocks and the tank walls. Now he has started eating Formula One and Hikari pellets as well as cyclop-eze so I think he'll do just fine.

4020394683_0fd55c1caa.jpg

Nice looking fish there.

Will leopard wrasse or melaningus wrasse live okay in a bare bottom tank

I know they dive in the sand and "sleep" there for the night. They definitely like sand better and I'm sure it would be better for them healthwise if they had it. With that said, I can't answer your question for sure since I have no experience.