The 75gal tank - an upgrade tale

impur

What a loss! Sorry to hear about it ... after watching this thread so long...

Could something external cause this? Someone cleaned the glass with chemicals.. Windex... or

The cabinet was "Orange Glo" ( polish..) or

House was sprayed for bugs last week...

A friend had many tanks for frags in his basement... side job... The pest company sprayed his neighbors house... lost a lot of coral..

Can you do a water change... should you?

Just another thought...

I think stress from moving is your most likely reason for the halocaust.

Miles you know I'll hook you up with some frags, my brother. We'll need to set up a time when we can meet. I have your green slimer and I can find more. Might take alittle time but I'll help you out.

Sorry to hear, man (sad) .

Yeah that Rainbow acan will catch some good tradebait!!! This really sucks Miles. I feel bad. Later Ryan

I hope so ;) Yah it sucks, but just gotta learn from it and move on i guess. Its disappointing, but i can still concentrate on giving the rest of the corals the best environment that i can.

Well the carnage continues. Lost all my montis today. My large cap is just about toast. Orange digi is gone, both frags. Green digi is RTN, orange cap is RTN. Thats the last of them, every single SPS i had is now dead or dying. Now one of the corals Nyles brought over is starting to RTN too.

This really sucks. After all the trouble i went thru to QT them and get them pest free.

Er wait i still have my purple digi, its closed up and pissed off but no sign of RTN yet. I'm sure its just waiting till all my others die so I can watch the last one whither and die.

I feel for you, it sucks beyond belief. Me with fish and you the corals. I'm sure you got attached to those after all this time. Hopefully you can turn things around and save something out of all this. Without reading back through everything, did you dip again before putting them back in the tank the other day? Also, have you tested for copper contamination from who knows what; fish,crab? I'm with Michael, get the survivors back into the previous holding tank for now and keep digging. Tough decision with putting even more stress on the critters.

I just went back for a quick glance..(the wife said your first tank was beautiful by the way)...but I wonder if that dishwasher rack you used for a riser somehow contaminated something? Those chemicals they use are pretty darned harsh. Just a thought.

One post you mentioned you mixed water in pretty much anything you could get your hands on, jugs etc.... maybe something from there? Doesn't help now, but Home Depot has a Rubbermaid garbage can for $12 to use for fish only in the future :(

Also, that new tank looked used by the black paint that was chipping off the overflow. If I'm right, you might recontact the person you aquired it from and rack their brains as to anything that may have been used in there. Didn't these come directly from Nyles and into this tank, or did you have another "holding pen" at home?

Trying to help you brainstorm.....

The rack is new, and I personally pulled it from a clean crate of new racks, also they are food grade. So I know thats not the prob.

They are same racks as my commercial rubbermaid tubs I use at home are. As Miles told me his light in his old tank was old, so I think this is one of the issues. I still have no clue why the green milli died so abrupt though.

Miles when you come over this weekend you more than welcome to bring back the frags I brought you.

Well i'm taking a couple precautions. I raised the light 2". I cut back the photo period by 1.5 hours, so the lights are on at 1:30 off at 7pm. I really think this is just because i did not acclimate them to the light, and as Nyles stated that MH bulb was at the end of its time, about 10-12 months of use on it. My monti cap is still mostly ok, the tips are burned on it all the way around about 1" down the cap. That right there says too much light to me. Plus i shut off the CL pump, it cavitates and throws MB into the tank. Plus my temp was up to 81.4, and i'd rather it be 79.5 or so. So to keep everything as stable as possible i turned off that pump. I might sell it and get anther GenX, i really like how quiet and powerful this one on my return is.

I have heard other people have had issues going from the 10 to the 20K XM's, but i am sceptical that its them getting burned, being that the lumens and par are much lower in the 20k's

I would stick with the 10K's anyway... since i switched from 400 watt 20K to 400 watt 10K my growth has doubled, and my brown outs colored up within a month after being brown under the 20's with no change for 4

Thanks everyone. Its sad but i must forge on and learn from the experience.

Jody brought me some stuff to cheer me up, and boy did it!! I got some zoos and a acan lord from him. They JUST went into the tank. A couple are already open. I'll put up more pics when the rest open. Notice how the pics are much less blue, i changed out one of the actinics. I like the color now, its perfect.

P1010088.jpg

P1010089.jpg

And just for fun, a couple other pics

P1010090.jpg

P1010091.jpg

Hmmm wonder if my clowns are hungry? You can see the skeleton of my blasto there :( It had some palys growing on the skeleton and they started to sting the blasto, so i fragged them off and in the process i broke the main frag off the rock. It tore a couple baby polyps, but the whole coral just receded. That happened in the 29gal.

P1010093.jpg