The 75gal tank - an upgrade tale

impur

Hey,

I need more blue!

Want to sell me a few of your bulbs?

Or we could trade, unless you wanted extras! I think these have 6-8 months of use on them so they should be good to go for another year +.

I have a GE daylight bulb i'm gonna add tonight and see how it looks.

I plugged one of my returns, since the OM is stuck and that was the leaking one, i figured no real good in letting it leak anymore. I have a small leak in my return at some threads. So i'm gonna have to dismantle all the plumbing yet again. All of it! Sheesh i just wanna enjoy the tank now (flame) (flame)

Or we could trade, unless you wanted extras! I think these have 6-8 months of use on them so they should be good to go for another year +.

How many were you thinking of trading?

I have two 10k lamps I'd like to switch to blue (one CA brand, one no-name). Though even one more blue/actinic one would work.

Not sure what brand your's are.

Okay.

I'd also be happy to buy one of the actinics from you if you still have too much blue or pay you a little to make up for the quality difference if you decide on a trade.

And good luck getting the leaks fixed!

We are going through something similar with the freshwater tank. Will have to take the water down below the bulkheads and do some silicone work.

Ahh so you know my pain!!! LOL I burned the tips of 2 of my fingers yesterday at work on the @#$% copy machine, pretty badly too. I hope it heals by this weekend so i can do some work. It was VERY painful to change out the bulbs in the fixture this morning. But i got it done, removed an actinic and put the GE daylight in place. I'll see how it looks when lights come on around noon. Then i'll shoot you a pm Susanne. BTW I hope to work on your MJmod this weekend.

Thanks vanz, they are actually 3 different colored polyps, part of some wild frags i got. The top one is orange with green mouth, the middle as you can see, looks like a bam bam orange, and the bottom one. That one is awesome, its actually really red. I haven't seen a zoo this red before. I hope it grows out!

Ahh so you know my pain!!! LOL I burned the tips of 2 of my fingers yesterday at work on the @#$% copy machine' date=' pretty badly too. I hope it heals by this weekend so i can do some work. It was VERY painful to change out the bulbs in the fixture this morning. But i got it done, removed an actinic and put the GE daylight in place. I'll see how it looks when lights come on around noon. Then i'll shoot you a pm Susanne. BTW I hope to work on your MJmod this weekend.[/quote']

Sounds good!

If you send a pm and I don't reply tonight, it's only because I'll be slaving away at my second job.

And "ouch" on the burns! Fingertips are so loaded with nerves, it's doubly painful!

• Like 1

Well i finally got my AC Jr hooked up. Still need to setup the ATO, should be done tonight. I made another frag tray to get my clam and SPS closer to the light and more flow.

But I might not need all that flow. I could very well end up with a softy/LPS tank by the end of the week. So far the casualties are:

O tort

2 small blue mille frags

tan w/ yellow polyp frag

both tricolors

tricolor frag

large purple tipped w/ green polyps colony

tan/green colony

silver polyped porites (i think its porites, er was) beginning its decline

small green monti cap frag

So what i have left are green w/purple rim monti cap, orange digi, green digi, a couple frags of orange digi, the main blue mille colony (although it looks to be headed out too), and a yellow acro. All but 1 of the corals Nyles brought me are doing fine, which is odd to me.

Sad sad sad.

Parameters today at 12:30

Temp 79.2

salinity 1.025

pH 8.18

alk 8.6dKH salifert test

calcium 440ppm salifert

nitrates 0ppm salifert

nitrites 0ppm AP test

ammonia 0ppm salifert

phosphates 0ppm AP

Not really sure whats going on.

• Like 1

Well i finally got my AC Jr hooked up. Still need to setup the ATO, should be done tonight. I made another frag tray to get my clam and SPS closer to the light and more flow.

But I might not need all that flow. I could very well end up with a softy/LPS tank by the end of the week. So far the casualties are:

O tort

2 small blue mille frags

tan w/ yellow polyp frag

both tricolors

tricolor frag

large purple tipped w/ green polyps colony

tan/green colony

silver polyped porites (i think its porites, er was) beginning its decline

small green monti cap frag

So what i have left are green w/purple rim monti cap, orange digi, green digi, a couple frags of orange digi, the main blue mille colony (although it looks to be headed out too), and a yellow acro. All but 1 of the corals Nyles brought me are doing fine, which is odd to me.

Sad sad sad.

Parameters today at 12:30

Temp 79.2

salinity 1.025

pH 8.18

alk 8.6dKH salifert test

calcium 440ppm salifert

nitrates 0ppm salifert

nitrites 0ppm AP test

ammonia 0ppm salifert

phosphates 0ppm AP

:eek: dude...sorry to hear that. You'll rebuild though. What happened to all the frags in the 30. Is it still there? Or did you transfer everything? Hope the rest of your corals will bounce back...mines is starting to.

I dont think it would be the light Miles. I had plenty of SPS under it in my 75. Are you thinking the light switch from MH to T5? Man that sucks. Flow doesnt sound right either. I cant imagine losing that many pieces because of light and flow in such a short period. Hope you get this figured out. Later Ryan

Well its either too much light, too little light, or too little flow. Thats all it could be. I mean i did this exact same transfer a few months ago when i put them all into QT. I did the same proceedure.

So considering light. The first corals to go were on the sand. Tricolors. Next to go were the frags on the frag tray that were about 8" below the light. The corals on the tray got lots of flow, lots of light. The ones on the sand got less light less flow. But my montis are on the sand and doing fine. So is the yellow acro that still doing fine. So i really have absolutely no clue why they died. It wasn't RTN, they bleached out. I can still see a few polyps in one of the dying corals today at lunch. But i'm sure its toast now. I guess i'll just chalk it up to the transfer sending them down the drain.

What kind of light were the corals you got from Nyles under?

I know that I have to be careful and shade anything I move from pc lighting to the T5, but your's were under metal halide, right?

6 T5's over an 18" deep tank is a lot of light, though!

Maybe some eggcrate for a few days, or window screen to give them a chance to adjust?

I'm starting my fixture out fairly high above the tank and will bring it down slowly over time. The hanging kit is great for that!

only argument there is I buy stuff from all the local stores with MH and the corals in my tank have never had a problem. Im at a loss as to why they would RTN so quick... but I think its light related. He went from 250 mh to the 6 t5 4 blue and 2 10k give or take.

mine are 5 each -11k and 3 each -blue plus (40% blue 60% sun) t-5's

only argument there is I buy stuff from all the local stores with MH and the corals in my tank have never had a problem. Im at a loss as to why they would RTN so quick... but I think its light related. He went from 250 mh to the 6 t5 4 blue and 2 10k give or take.

mine are 5 each -11k and 3 each -blue plus (40% blue 60% sun) t-5's

It sure is strange that all but one of the corals from your tank are fine, and the rest are dying.

Maybe Miles' were still recovering from the recent quarantine and dipping, and the light shock did them in? (scratch)

Nah they were recovered and growing again. All had shown new growth in my 29. I keep thinking they are getting too much light now. But i just don't see how thats possible, the PAR at the bottom of a T5 lit tank is not near what it would be with MH. It doesn't make sense cuz not only are the corals from the bottom of the tank dead, stuff on the frag tray close to the light died too.

That leaves flow, or simply the transfer.