Frag/T5 experiment build

Smann

When I started to lose a large Acoropora to White Band Disease I decided to build a tank in the garage to try and move as much of the coral into to try and save it (at least thats what I told my wife). I had been reading about different overflows and silent drains such as the Herbie and Stockman. I found a thread on RC that also described a Calfo style overflow or continuous all across the back type overflow heres the link http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1310585

The tank shown has the OF inside the tank I wanted the OF box on the outside to give as clean a look as possible inside the tank

At the same time I also wanted to try a T5 tank, I knew my Acro needed MH lighting so I decided to do two tanks side by side and see how they did. I built the first tank out of 1/4" acrylic, its 24'w x 16" x 16" deep I kept it shallow to use it as a frag tank

Here is the completed Tank

tank7.jpg

Showing the overflow on the back, I made the drop on the first 3/8" which, depending on the amount of flow, was a little shallow and the water line is less than a 1/4" from the top. The second tank I made it 1/2"

tank8.jpg

I filled the tank and started testing the Herbie style drain

tank3.jpg

Here is the overflow across the back

tank2.jpg

I couldnt decide where to put the tank so I built the stand on wheels. I already had a sump which i modified a bit for this set up. I filled it and got it going the last week of June

proptank2.jpg

Here is the power center on the side

proptank6.jpg

The sump

proptank5.jpg

The pendant I bought from Bob (lowman) and changed the cord to fit a PFO 175w MH it also had 2 9w blue bulbs which i found new ones on the internet and a built in fan. The pipe holding the light is from a thread on RC, it was also on our site. I've since changed the ballast and bulb to a 400w. The other light is the T5 from Sunlight Supply, 8-24" bulbs

proptank7.jpg

Here is the overflow box on the back, I devided it into three compartments. The return pump is a mag 7 to a SCWD then 2 -3/4" lines with Loc Line fittings inside the tank. Since the returns were below the OF box I had to use a checkvalve in the return line above the pump

proptank1.jpg

I moved alot of the Milli into the tank along with some other frags. I put a brace across the front down inside instead of on top and it gives the impression the cube is full, kind of cool

proptank3.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PART II

I built the second tank out of 3/8" acrylic, 26"w x 18" x 16" deep. I completed it about two weeks later and set it up. Both tanks share one sump

tanks.jpg

The overflow and light on tank #2

rear.jpg

light.jpg

Top view of both tanks

DSC00026.jpg

I bought rock and aquascaped the T5 tank, the pics don't show well there are alot of caves and bridges with sand inside

DSC00032.jpg

tank4-1.jpg

All the corals are from my main tank, so far the sps are doing fine. the color is different than the same coral in the MH tank. I will clip them once I feel they are established to see if they actually grow

A few notes on the two tanks so far

The MH tank has alot of coralline algae all around the perimeter lines of the tank. The T5 tank only has coralline on the bare bottom, just a few starting around the edges

The MH tank just looks "dirty" , lots of hair algae and the hard brown algae that has to be cleaned every few days, the maxi is covered and there is algae growing on the LR. The T5 tank is very clean and only have had to wipe with a mag float once a week. The rock is real clean and bright. Both tanks have a few snails and hermits, almost identical flow

The Cheato in the T5 tank is bright green and very long and "wispy" while the same in the MH tank is dark green and more like a brillow pad. I have had to remove some from the T5 tank several times

Again both tanks share the same water and sump so it will be neat to see how they develop. I would like to build a 48" tank with this design and a really good T5 light, I dont think i will try it myself but I have been told the acrylic builders will not build a rimless tank so we'll see

Sweet build! I cant wait to see what happends with the corals on a side by side mh vs.t5

I run t5 and love them, never used metal MH, but thought about it alot of times.

Thanks, I've seen a few TOM on RC that are T5 tanks (european mostly) and have some serious T5 fixtures with amazing SPS Most are not avaiable in the US when I have looked, i have only found 48" fixtures compared to 72" overseas is it the power supply, 220v?. Anyway I've got around 200w over this tank so we'll see how it does.

I saw the tanks that Steve built, I believe this is one of the best cube tank out there. I wish I have one like this. I am into cube tank, and this is really the best one I have see in person. If Steve can built another one like this in glass then I would love to have one. *hint hint* You gotta see it in person to see how nice it's. The overflow is really clean and all flow into the back. The drain pumps is really silent, you hear no water falling down to the sump. Nice job Steve, if you ever have free time and want to experient to built want with glass I would love to let you built me one :-) I will pay for all the matterials, parts and labors :-)

I saw the tanks that Steve built' date=' I believe this is one of the best cube tank out there. I wish I have one like this. I am into cube tank, and this is really the best one I have see in person. If Steve can built another one like this in glass then I would love to have one. *hint hint* You gotta see it in person to see how nice it's. The overflow is really clean and all flow into the back. The drain pumps is really silent, you hear no water falling down to the sump. Nice job Steve, if you ever have free time and want to experient to built want with glass I would love to let you built me one :-) I will pay for all the matterials, parts and labors :-)[/quote']

Thanks Benny, I havent worked with glass and from what I've seen I dont think you have as many options for glueing or attaching pieces as you can with acrylic.

Could you please let me know how you did it? I would love to build a huge tank! Like 300 gallons with the same set up!! That is amazing!! Amazing!! Amazing!! My buddy jon wants to, too!! We want to get the acrylic custom bent with rounded corners?!! Would you be willing to help?

Clay

Next time you are up in portland you are welcome to stop by and take a look. Honestly my acrylic work isnt all that great and something like this or sumps is about all I would trust. I'm probably going to replace the 1/4" one and try some 1/2", the 3/8" is fine but the 1/4 has more bow at the rim than I am comfortable with.

I'm sure a custom builder could come up with a similar overflow but I dont think anyone will build rimless out of acrylic so it would have to be incorporated into a tank design with a top

Yes, glad you posted this. The last time I saw it had me thinking a bit and now it has me thinking even more. If I do one it will likely be out of glass though instead (Perhaps with a blue acrylic wall inside) and I'm considering a full depth overflow in back to simplify things.

There are two nicest overflow that I have seen in my life, one is Steve's built tanks and the other is Saltwater Fantasea's clams tank. I like Steve idea best, the pictures here doesn't explain well till you all need to see it in person. Now I am thinking so hard about building a tank like this. I dont like acrylic but in this case I just buy the tank from Steve if he is selling it :-)

The last time I saw it had me thinking a bit and now it has me thinking even more. If I do one it will likely be out of glass though instead .

Hey Rick, you and I having exactly the same taste and idea. I am glad that I am not the only one that have been thinking a tank like that. And, Yup I was the one requested Smann post this tank up, so i can drool all over it :-)

I've seen one other really nice overflow setup but it was a bit noisier than I would like. It is the Frag Tank Doran had built. It was a rimless 3/4" acrylic with 2 clear overflow tubes allowing you to see the water cascade down the tubes. This of course related in a bit of extra noise.

These look fantastic!

If only we had a garage, to set up more tanks! (not that my husband would agree! *g*)

I have one tank with MH, and one with T5s, and have also noticed the colors of the same coral coming out totally different under the different lighting.

Sps grow great in both, maybe somewhat faster in the T5 tank.

I was by Steve's yesterday and he tanks look good.

The big DT looks really different without the HUGE milli in there. (sad)

He did an awesome job on the 2 frag tanks that are out in the garage! Kinda funny to see how different the 2 tanks are reacting to their lighting. With the MH having a lot more algae then the T5 tank. Both look real good!

Oh BTW if you need a LTA contact Steve he has a few!

Thanks again for the star Steve.

I may take you up on the earlier offer to look at the tanks some time this week. I'm planning to build a couple of them starting this week. (One for me and one for another member) I may want to take a closer look at yours before I get too far on them though.

yeah let me know, I'm off tuesdays and uasually home by 4 or 5. if a better time would work (driving from Vancouver I understand) i am pretty flexible

Steve