Anyone else have terrible clownfish?

Nate213

I know that Rick has some mean clowns, but how many other people have totally ruthless clowns? Mine are horrible. I cant even get my hand into the water before they attack it. They literally jump out of the tank and onto the floor when I have the hood off. I have had them jump out and hit my face, jump out and bite me 6" above the water. One time the big one jumped clean out of the water, bit me and was hanging off my hand like a cartoon bulldog.

My wife laughs so hard every time I have to adjust things. I get elbow deep into the tank and am cussing like crazy cuz the buggers are biting me. Its not nice little bites either, they draw blood. And the big female seems to have a knack for finding the sensitive skin between my fingers. This last time, I had to net them both out before I could start gluing down some new frags. What a pain in the rear. They have been breeding lately and my wife loves them, so I guess I just have to deal with it. DOH!

clowns are damselfish. There is a reason there is a swear word in dam-sel fish. It is not because they are soft and gentle like a damsel in distress...

My false perc that is hosting a ritteri anemone is the worst. Before it started hosting, it was a nice fish. Instantly when it was put together with the anemone it befcame posessed by Satan. Even the maroon clowns that I have in another tank (hosting RBTAs) are not as mean.

dsoz

It's kind of funny because my Orange Ones will put holes in pharmaceutical gloves which I initially used after she started drawing blood (I use a pair of reef gloves now), on the other hand my big black/white ones will eat right out of my hand. The new pair of maroon clowns I added haven't figured out what to think yet but they are small enough that I doubt they will get mean for awhile. I've had my Jewel Damsel and the pair of Yellowtail Damsels attack my hand as well although none of them are as evil as that Orange one that draws blood every chance she gets.

I am convinced that there was not a clown out there as mean as the one that originally came with my 75g when I bought it. It was a yellow striped maroon that was about 4.5 inches. I kid you not!:eek: This clown was mean. I purposely put the anemone on one side of the tank so he would be less territorial of both side and more of just that one side. It didn't matter, he was just out for blood. He did draw blood a couple times too. It got to the point where I would feed at one side until he swam up then switch. I had to use tongs, and fish nets to get things or move them. He would attack the mag float and time I was using it. Thankfully his anemone was so big(maybe 14-16") all I had to do was mess with it and he got right in it then I hurried and picked the rock up and put it in a bucket. Clown stayed wrapped up in it the whole time. I wish I had pictures of it because it is still the biggest clown I have ever seen.

Don't think that all maroons are this way(just most). I had one before the 75g and he eventually came to the 75g after the big one left. He gently ate out of my hand . He would come up and almost suction on to your hand when you were in the tank. At any time I could reach in and pet him and probably pick him up by hand if I wanted. He was my favorite fish by far. He only had one fin too so everyone called him nemo(he was apparently born that way). I lost this fish and all the other fish that were in my tank due to a parasite of some sort I believe.

I have a Clarke Clown thats about 4", She's mean as hell bites me whenever I'm near her Anemones. She has even moved or knocked over rocks that I put near her area. When I go in to work I keep the short handle scraber in my other hand or lean it near her. She has several dents (looks like a boxer) in her forehead from where I've wacked her especially when she catches me off guard and I end up breaking something