Tang for 60G cube?

siskiou

yep hippo tang. Mine used to sleep upside down wedged in between the glass and a powerhead every night. People always thought he was dead...

How big do the blues get, ultimately?

I *am* dreaming of a larger tank, besides the 120G that already has a powder brown in it, but I know that won't happen for several years, or unless someone gives one away for free! :D

I had a Blue Hippo and a Yellow eyed Kole in my 37 cube. A few people saw the fish and said they looked great. They have since been moved to a 125 but loved everyday in the small tank. I never once had a problem with either one and the hippo was at least 3 inchs long and the kole was 2.5 maybe even bigger. And yes the bristle tooth tangs do alot better job of cleaning.

I don't think I would put one in a 40G, unless you have a larger tank not too far down the road.

I'm reluctant even about the 60G.

I have my 85 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump under it but by the time it would need to be moved my purple tang and the trigger will be large enough that I don't think another large fish will do well. I'm thinking maybe a Lemonpeel Angel instead.

My friend had a blue tang that he got at about a quarter size and it went into a 29g. The fish was fed every day so he got big faster then normal but it still took a little over a year to get to a size that he needed to be moved. a tang in a 40 isn't a horrible idea, you just need to respect his size when he does start to get bigger. It will take a while, and their are many here that will gladly trade you for the fish later I'm sure.... On the angel thought, a potters angel is a great fish for a 40 reef.;)

.... a potters angel is a great fish for a 40 reef.;)

Potters and Coral Beauty are out. Too close to the same thing and I already have a Coral Beauty in my 85 gallon. I really like the Lemonpeel so that is what we will probably look at as first choice. May also consider a flame but not sure yet.

I do agree the bristletooth tangs would be best suited for the 60 cube. A small purple, yellow or scopas would also be ok. Just be aware that they may grow quickly depending on how you feed. I had a sailfin and blue hippo in a 120 grow from 2" to 7" in a year, the tank was fed about twice a day. They went into a 180 after that and continued to grow but not at that same rate.

In my opinion/experience, tangs are happiest/healthiest with lots of swimming space and proper diet of course. I have a clown, sailfin and blue hippo tang in a 400 gallon tank. I think I could have more tangs but I don't because when these tangs get full size there won't be space for more tangs. I also don't believe the clown tang would allow me to add anymore tangs, that's one aggressive fish! Tangs might survive in small tanks but I think that's all they are doing, surviving not thriving. Note - I agree, if it's temporary and the fish is small than it's ok but eventually the fish will need to go in a larger tank.

A pygmy angel will possibly nip at corals and/or clam mantles, I think it's dependent on each fish. They will eat algae but not as efficiently as a tang. I have a flame and potters angel that occasionally nip at corals but do not focus on any one coral. I have clams too and they don't mess with them at all.

how is the flame angel with your sps?

I haven't noticed the flame focusing on sps, yet! I feed flake food twice a day with an auto feeder and frozen food once a day. I also feed a sheet of algae every other day. I think since i feed so much it helps keep the flame and potters from picking at corals.

LOL, I think I sent the thread somewhat off topic. (Not intentionally)

siskiou, let us know if we need to get back on topic here.

Nevermind, I see you redirected it yourself.

How about the Lemonpeel? anyone had any experience with them. I think they would look great in the tank but wonder if they have any specific issues.