Tang for 60G cube?

siskiou

If you don't have a ton of rock their should be enough swimming room for at least one. I would be very picky about getting a very small one though. Even two small ones would be ok if you do the right thing when they start to get too big for the tank. You can usually get blue tangs at a very small size(sometimes even dime size) and they will do great in the tank for probably 3 years even. The key is to make sure it or they are very small to start.

To add to that I have a yellow eyed kole tang in my 75 that is about 3.5" right now and he looks like he is having a blast all the time cruising around.

I think a bristletooth tang would be best.

IE Tomini or Kole or likewise.

Yea they seem to be more of the scavenging type of tang over others that like to swim more. At least my Kole tang is. My Blue Tang was always "doin' laps" in front of my most powerful powerhead in the tank.

I don't think I have too much rock, but here is a pic of what the tank looks like today, for reference.

Would there be enough swimming room for a little tang?

I can't say I've seen tiny ones in Eugene lately, but I wasn't really looking for one last time I visited the LFSs.

post-46-141867747092_thumb.jpg

My Blue Tang was always "doin' laps" in front of my most powerful powerhead in the tank.

Thats because they are a 'surge zone' fish and are use to massive amounts of water movement.

Back to topic:

Yeah should be fine. Bristletooths will pick on the glass too.

that is plenty of room for one. looks like a lot of flow too so it will like that...

There is plenty of flow, yes!

What abought a lawnmower blenny?

I have the cutest, smallest LMB I've ever seen in there! But they mainly eat film type algae (or at least mine do. I have a larger one in my 120G).

Small purple tang gets my vote. A bit expensive but they are great looking and have always been one of my faves. If you are going for algae eating mainly then I would go with a bristletooth though both will do well.

Garrett

So, purple if it's for looks, and bristletooth if it's for eating algae?

The purple doesn't like to eat algae as much?

So, purple if it's for looks, and bristletooth if it's for eating algae?

The purple doesn't like to eat algae as much?

They'll eat it but probably not as voraciously as a bristletooth will.

I think in nature the bristles tend to just swim along pecking at the rocks where a purple will swim for a while then go and eat then swim some more. They are not always right against the rocks like the bristles like to be. I'm watching mine right now just pecking away at everything(kole tang).

And when it comes to bossiness, they are pretty much all the same? :D

So, taking into account mainly the size of the tank, and forgetting about looks and algae (since they all eat it, some more voraciously than others), which type would be the most comfortable for the longest time in a 60 cube?

And when it comes to bossiness, they are pretty much all the same? :D

So, taking into account mainly the size of the tank, and forgetting about looks and algae (since they all eat it, some more voraciously than others), which type would be the most comfortable for the longest time in a 60 cube?

I always seem to find 3 types of tangs in very small varieties. Seems to always be Blue Tangs, Kole Tangs, and Yellow Tangs. Other you will find small but not that often. I would say the Yellow eyed Kole tang, but only because you may be able to get him smaller then any of the others you could get. They seem to grow relatively slow too so it will be great in there for years to come I would think.

I know they kinda got passed up but you can get Blue Tangs so small sometimes(dime size) that they would be fine in there for a long time. They are by far my favorite tang to watch in a tank. They do things that no other tang does. They should have been named the Clown Tang from the way they act. You have lots of flow so the Blue tang would absolutely love it in your tank. That's all the pushing I'll do for the Blue Tang for now.(naughty)

I have a blue tang, yellow tang and a scopas tang in my tank. (75g) and they all get along just fine. Once in a while they pick at each other and someone will be missing a little tail for a week but nothing any other fish doesn't do. Get small ones and they will be fine for a long time.

I have a blue tang' date=' yellow tang and a scopas tang in my tank. (75g) and they all get along just fine. Once in a while they pick at each other and someone will be missing a little tail for a week but nothing any other fish doesn't do. Get small ones and they will be fine for a long time.[/quote']

And if you want to get really clever you could get the Blue Tang(not a blue tang push, read on:p) and the Kole Tang very small together. They will more often then not do great together. They are different shapes, different colors, and have different feeding habits so they should leave each other alone pretty much. By the time they got big enough to care about the other they would be tank mates and everything would be honky dori(like in finding nemo(laugh))

Which blue tang, exactly?

There are so many with "blue" in the name, that I'm never quite sure which one people mean.

Atlantic? Bue Hippo? Blue Hawaiian?

Probably Hippo, right?

yep hippo tang. Mine used to sleep upside down wedged in between the glass and a powerhead every night. People always thought he was dead...