What do you do when you get bored with your tank???

reef-fisher

do you have a frag tank? you could spend some time planing out and building a frag system ran off your existing system. and try building everything yourself even the tank! do lots of reserch on building tanks, get a cheep tank from goodwill and take it apart cut the glass and build a small tank for practice, if ya want to do acrylic go to tap and get some of there scrap plastic and practice cutting and gluing a smaller version of your tank,

I have been 'in the middle' of building a frag tank for weeks now... I need to do some painting in the garage before I get it going. I am planning on setting it up to house my existing livestock, and then start from scratch again. I think I enjoy building new tanks more than maintaining older ones!(whistle)

Here is an idea. Leave your tank alone for 3 months so it can grow a healthy covering of hair algae. Then spend the next couple of months fighting it out of your tank. :) JK

I am with Jason. I have not got bored with my tank yet. There are so many possibilities with what to get next that I am always considering what my next purchase will be.

dsoz

I am glad I kept my 65 gal soft coral tank when I was downsizing during the past year of financial trouble. I always enjoy seeing the subtle changes in the different corals and wondering why one is shriveled up a bit while others are puffed up and happy etc. My tank seems very happy overall and that makes me feel good. I enjoy reading about everyone's reef experiences on this site.

Here is an idea. Leave your tank alone for 3 months so it can grow a healthy covering of hair algae. Then spend the next couple of months fighting it out of your tank. :) JK

I am with Jason. I have not got bored with my tank yet. There are so many possibilities with what to get next that I am always considering what my next purchase will be.

dsoz

(nono) (nono) (nono) (nono) (nono) (nono) (nono) (nono)

I think your nuts Dsoz!!!(nutty) You must not have had a good enough battle with it if you can get rid of it in a few months. The hair gets everywhere. It stops pumps, clogs tubes, uproots and kills corals, and yes even plugged it up enough to flood my tank once a little. It grows and spreads into the skimmer and almost stops it from working and bristle worms start to become the most numerous thing in the tank.(wife) You spend hours pulling it out only to end with the feeling you have gotten nowhere.(scratch) You spend countless dollars buying phosban drops, reactors, and media. (flame)By this point you rip all your hair out and the only hair really growing is in your tank.(whistle) Pretty soon you have to change your whole tank around stocking wise so you can get sea hares and emeralds to survive without getting eaten.(plotting) Finally 2 years later you get it 99% under control, all the time cursing(enforcer) the guy you got the tank from because it was in there from before I received the tank.DOH!

I guess if your bored with your tank though you could give it a shot. :p

If you cant get new Inverts corals or fish that let you get your fix try the aquascaping, if that don't work then new tank it is.

I have done all of the above, new fish are a good start new tank always works!

If you want to keep busy or interested, try a nano cube. That will keep you occupied, nothing like a little algae outbreak, or a cyno outbreak, to keep you busy.

You can add an HQI's and that will let you run into heat issues which will allowto buy a chiller and since you have the chiller you can add a HOT skimmer like AquaC makes.

After that you can figure you dont have enough flow-which could have been why you got the algae and/or cyno so you can add a few Koralia's which certainly will drive up your heat and justify the chiller for sure, and since you have the chiller you can easily justify the skimmer, and maybe the HQI's are to much so you can get a fixture that has 6-24wT5's.

Before you know it, it will be winter and the gloomy weather will have you all happy again, and glad you have a larger tank!!!

By the way, I have a 24 gallon Nano for sale, a 1/10hp chiller, an AquaC HOT skimmer, and a light fixture that houses 6 24 watt T5's plus a few Koralias for sale(wife)

another idea is to get a few real cool zoas, and make a LR colony out of multiple colors-and hey maybe that nano can be a frag tank(nono)(nono)(nono)(nono)

hind sight I tell myself hind sight(scary)

WOO HOO you gotta love this hobby!!!