Polyps on coraline? ID please

Dego Red

So my new tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks and I've been seeing these yellow polyps becoming more and more noticeable in the purple coraline (last tank only had green). No idea what they are, so curiosity has finally got the best of me and hoping someone knows. Could be nothing, but looks pretty cool either way...almost chalice-like when they are all out. Sorry for the bad photo - my camera isn't the greatest shooting the tank.

Thanks!

Mike

IMG_1037.jpg

My uneducated guess is that that is not purple coraline but rather it appears to be a star polyp. Here is a picture of mine with the tentacles out. At night they usually pull in and it looks like what your pic shows. I.E. A purple mat with bumps.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4634&d=1242267428

Thanks, guys.

My first thought was a coral of some type, but the majority of that rock was covered with coraline so I thought I'd ask. It's also in line with what pledosophy said, in that they seem to be growing quickly.

...was this rock from an established tank or did you just get lucky with a nifty hitch hiker?

I've been very lucky with this tank. I got all the rock fully cured from Upscales and Waves with no cycle to speak of at all. I added some Seachem Stability to be sure, but I was able to begin stocking after 4 days.

The total hitchhiker list is now the GSP, 1 emerald mithrax crab and 1 red mithrax (both 1"), 5-8 brittle stars (lost count), several bristle worms, 2 or 3 1/4" snails, and a few feather dusters. Everyone has survived from day one, and the tank is super healthy so far! :D

I've been very lucky with this tank. I got all the rock fully cured from Upscales and Waves with no cycle to speak of at all. I added some Seachem Stability to be sure, but I was able to begin stocking after 4 days.

The total hitchhiker list is now the GSP, 1 emerald mithrax crab and 1 red mithrax (both 1"), 5-8 brittle stars (lost count), several bristle worms, 2 or 3 1/4" snails, and a few feather dusters. Everyone has survived from day one, and the tank is super healthy so far! :D

Its amazing what some good live rock can do for a system. I am glad to hear that you got so many hitch hikers! They are some of the most interesting critters in our tanks I think. I have had stuff pop out of live rock 2 years after I added it to my tank. Kind of cool to see some nuclear green protopalys just pop up out of a crack in your rock.

Of course there is the occasional gorilla crab or 4ft long carnivorous worm to be found.

Garrett

You mean this guy??

Pretty sure I'd need a change of shorts after finding that in my tank.

About the only negative I've found is one aptasia that came outta nowhere in the last few days. It's already 1/2" across, so I'll have to lemon/Joe's juice it when I get the chance. Anyone know where to get a syringe without looking like an addict? :)

Thanks,

Mike

I use Kalk paste. Pickling lime and water to about the consistency of toothpaste. Smear a large blob over the hole that the bugger retracts into. Let sit for a week. Peal off the old blob and repeat with a new blob for a second week. Aptasia is gone.

dsoz

• Like 1

Pretty sure I'd need a change of shorts after finding that in my tank.

About the only negative I've found is one aptasia that came outta nowhere in the last few days. It's already 1/2" across, so I'll have to lemon/Joe's juice it when I get the chance. Anyone know where to get a syringe without looking like an addict? :)

Thanks,

Mike

Good luck on finding the syringe without feeling like a junkie....I had a tough time telling the pharmacy tech what I was going to use a syringe for (we were trying to decide what size I needed). She gave me the 'stink eye' like I was feeding her a line. I bet I walked out and she told all the other junkies about the 'reefer head' that just came in :) ha ha ha .

I picked up some of that rock from Waves as well - I have about 60 lbs in my tank and no cycle either. I am constantly finding large feather dusters on it, and even a porcelain crab hitch hiker.

Good luck on finding the syringe without feeling like a junkie....I had a tough time telling the pharmacy tech what I was going to use a syringe for (we were trying to decide what size I needed). She gave me the 'stink eye' like I was feeding her a line. I bet I walked out and she told all the other junkies about the 'reefer head' that just came in :) ha ha ha .

I picked up some of that rock from Waves as well - I have about 60 lbs in my tank and no cycle either. I am constantly finding large feather dusters on it, and even a porcelain crab hitch hiker.

Ha, that's what I was afraid of. I think I'll give dsoz's method first since I only have one.

Did you dig around in Joel's sump when you were picking your rock?? The giant brittle star in there almost grabbed my wrist and gave me a heart attack! haha

I handpicked the rock for my cube shortly after he got it in - certainly some of the nicest live rock I have seen. Plenty of life on it after the cycle at the shop - with some very large featherdusters and various inverts. Good purple/pink rock! My base piece is about 34 lbs!

If you have a livestock feed store near you, go in there for syringes. They'll be a little larger, but I prefer the slightly larger gauge for nuking aptasia. :-)

• Like 1