Do you run Carbon?

siskiou

Do you run Carbon?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

I don't run it every day but I do run it often. It's usually reactive for me. I have been running a generous supply since the tank move a couple weeks ago, things are still not so happy in there so it's a precautionary measure right now.

HTH

Whenever I do a lot of cutting up things, I throw a handful into my filter sock. Then the next time I change the sock (not often enough), it gets dumped.

Since I am always cutting up things, it seems that I have carbon more often than not. But Right now there is none in either of my tanks.

dsoz

I started to when I started having a mass die off of my frogspawn. I couldn't figure out the problem, but soon adding it to my sump, my frogspawn came back as well as some toadstools that were under distress. Not 100% sure this was the "cure", but I do draw that conclusion.

I am running it now, have been for a couple months. Before that i had not used it for over a year. I had another TLF reactor laying around and decided to use it for carbon. So i hooked it up inline with my GFO and its been running since. I don't see very much affect on anything using or not using it in my tank.

This subject is of particular interest to me. I have been running carbon for the past 3 years without fail. The other day I pulled it out to allow more flow and so far it seems as though my corals are happier. This could also be due to them getting used to the new light after 2 weeks.

I run carbon. It is IMO a must in a mixed reef tank. It cuts down on chemical warfare between corals. The carbon is the only way of removing these chemicals. Skimmers wont do it, filters wont do it, and bacteria only removes small amounts.

However, the chemical warfare doesn't really kill corals very often. It will cause decreased polyp extension, and some stress, but wont usually kill them.

However, the chemical warfare doesn't really kill corals very often. It will cause decreased polyp extension, and some stress, but wont usually kill them.

I used to rarely run carbon because I was afraid of soaking up too many trace elements, etc. But, for a few months straight nearly all my zoas (several varieties) were closed up all the time. I decided to try running carbon consistently for a while. After a few weeks, most of them opened up entirely. At this point, I only have one little frag (2 polyps) that is not happy. So, yeah, I think in a mixed system like mine it seems pretty beneficial. :D

OK' date=' You've all made some convincing arguments about the benefits to running carbon, so pardon the stoopid question, but what is the "best" (read "cheapest") way to run carbon in your system? (scratch)[/quote']

Put carbon in a mesh bag and place it near a good flow area in the sump.

Its funny, I don't think I ran carbon on my old system at all. I can't remember ever even having it around. I run it now just as sort of a precaution. I do a decent amount of fragging and have(or will have) a pretty mixed coral system and the majority of peoples experiences tell me that carbon is the way to go. I also will be running GFO. I haven't decided if I will continuously run carbon and GFO or if I will sort of use it just when I feel it could be of use.

You certainly don't need either to have a successful mixed reef. I had some pretty decent looking corals and I never ran either.

Garrett

I run carbon. It is IMO a must in a mixed reef tank. It cuts down on chemical warfare between corals. The carbon is the only way of removing these chemicals. Skimmers wont do it, filters wont do it, and bacteria only removes small amounts.

+1

I completely agree with this post. Especially if you have a very crowded tank with corals and there is a fight for space. I had this issue with my tank when things started to grow into each other. For a while the corals were not feeling so great (AKA less to no polyp extentions, loss of colors etc) but running carbon took care of the problem and I had a thriving tank afterwards. So in my next tank I plan to run it 24/7.

OK' date=' You've all made some convincing arguments about the benefits to running carbon, so pardon the stoopid question, but what is the "best" (read "cheapest") way to run carbon in your system? (scratch)[/quote']

I prefer TLF type Carbon reactor to meshbag. The problem with meshbags is the only surface carbon is exposed to the water and very little of the water actually flows through (I mean throught the channels) the bag. The TLF reactors have the media tumbling in the water to give it a good exposer.

I use one of these on each of my tanks. Usually it has GFO. Every now and then I run carbon for a few days in it.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/Carbon-and-Phosphate-Remover-GFO-Media-Bags-&-Reactors/c109_85/p616/PhosBan-Reactor-150/product_info.html

Other than that, I put a handfull of carbon in my filter sock on occasion if I am doing a lot of cutting. It helps reduce the slime and chemical warfare that can go on in a tank.

dsoz

I use a reactor like dsoz is describing above, but I am thinking about going another route. First, the reactor gets bubbles in it over time and then the pump, set on a very low setting so the carbon doesn't tumble and create fines, can't push any water through. So pretty annoying, I have to flush the bubbles out every couple of days.

I have read about the mesh bag concerns (inefficient and only surface carbon having contact) so I am thinking about a better way. Here are my thoughts and please comment:

What if I create a plexiglass support that holds the carbon mesh bag in the sump standing up vertically. This plexiglass support could also force all water in the sump to go through the mesh bag before reaching the sump pump. Kind of like a dam but with the mesh bag of carbon being the flood gate. Keep in mind, for me, the pump is external and water goes out of the sump through a bulk head and into the pump.

Thoughts?