t-5 vs metal halide thread....

reefgeek84

I posted this in the lighting forum, but it may be relevant here:

These are on an unshielded Tek light with the following bulb combo from front to back:

UV Lighting Super Actinic

D&D Blue Plus

D&D Aqua Blue

D&D Aqua Blue

D&D Aqua Blue

UV Lighting Super Actinic

These lights are about on average 6 months old.

The Iwasaki is housed in a Lumenarc 2 fixture using an Icecap 175w electronic Ballast and the bulb is about 2 months old.

I took measurements at several points in the tank and on the rocks with the t-5 lights and the Iwasaki 15k 175w light mounted on my 75g SPS tank. Here are the results based on my Apogee Quantum meter calibrated for electric lights:

The Tek lights are 4 inches from the water level (lowest it can be with mounting legs), the Iwasaki is 8 inches

Directly under lights at surface, above water

Tek - 650

Iwasaki - 1730

Directly under lights, just under water level

Tek - 410

Iwasaki - 1120

Halfway down tank on rocks

Tek - 170

Iwasaki - 450

Bottom of tank - Barebottom

Tek - 125

Iwasaki - 310

I think the bottom of the tank measurement is pretty much in line with what Grim tested, I think his was around 135 or so, but I have no sand in my tank so I am probably down 2 inches or so further than his test was.

Also notice that the shield on the Tek light reduced the light by about 20 percent based on my readings from last night.

---Ray

So that is the important part from the post...it looks like the Halide owns the t-5's..input.

The thing is Brandon those Iwasaki bulbs have very good output, but it is only one bulb. The only thing that it proves is that bulb kicks butt, and it actually blows aways some of the 250w bulbs too. There are a TON of factors that will change these numbers (i.e. reflectors, bulbs, ballast, cooling, etc...) so one test like this is NOT definative proof that MH owns T5. I would love to see that test with different 175w mh bulbs.

I know for a fact that the MH ballast's are going up in price because of the increase of raw materials.

I have never tried t-5. All my lighting is MH 400w 15k XM. plus tanks are 30" deep. I don'rt know enought about the lighting, at this time, to make a change, on my acros, millies etc. and further more,it would be on a net tank 6x29x24 so I'm not even sure how to do it. When i get my tank, and not for a bit yet, I want to do all the things I have learned, didn't do, would have done.

I would like to see established tanks, with different lighting, other than MH, that have been up and running for a year, to show grouth and color. Also with that time period. The tank would be established and settled. New tanks, new lighting, both take time to settle.

If you are going with high light corals (SPS etc) then get as many bulbs over your tank as you can fit. If you want to take it another step get the Icecap 660 ballast and overdrive the bulbs, it will take a 54w bulb and run it up to 82w. But you will need to add fans to the canopy you keep the bulbs cool.

I'm absolutly amazed with mine so far, I put my corals into my tank tonight and WOW it is really bright and the colors I'm getting with the corals are stunning. The crazy thing is its bright all the way down to the faux sand bed and my tank is 26" deep. Now I'm worried that I might have to much light, only time will tell though...

Rich

Hey rich, are you happy with the color of the actinics? I've been considering using T-5's to supplement my halides on my new tank, but I've only read bad things in connection with the actinic color. Ive been reading that most people arn't happy with the color, or the "flourecing effect (sp?)" of the t-5s. If you are liking the color, what brand of actinics are you using?

I'm very happy with the new UV Super Actinics I think they look great. The bulbs are:

3x UV Super Actinic

2x GE 6500 Daylight

1x UV Aqua Sun 10k

1x UV Actinic White 12k

1x Giesmann Aquablue 11k

Rich

WOW that's quite the mix!!!!! I like the color of my 15k 400wt.xm. I would even go to 20k when I change. Hmmmm Just goin o have to see your tank for my self:D