Skimmerless

CrazyInside

My sump is setup to where I can really only run a skimmer or some chaeto. I’ve been debating pulling my skimmer and GFO for awhile now and just running some chaeto with reverse lighting. 

Anyone doing this successfully, or tried it and went back to a skimmer? 

Tank is mixed reef with leaning more towards the lps and sps side

I run a skimmer and a algae scrubber. I fell the scrubber exports nutrients that have broke down but the skimmer removes large particles before they break down and helps keep a stable ph. Pretty much what @Manny Tavan said but a scrubber instead. A scrubber may be a better option for you since you have limited space. 

• Like 1

If you want to run chaeto and skimmer, you could convert the ATO resevior into a little fuge and hook up a small pump to cycle water through it and then back into your sump. @SuncrestReef has a build thread somewhere where he did that with his ATO and I believe it worked for what you want. Might be worth investigating :)

This is the page where he shows the conversion. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-red-sea-reefer-xl-425-build.358990/page-5

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Reefer503 said:

If you want to run chaeto and skimmer, you could convert the ATO resevior into a little fuge and hook up a small pump to cycle water through it and then back into your sump. @SuncrestReef has a build thread somewhere where he did that with his ATO and I believe it worked for what you want. Might be worth investigating :)

This is the page where he shows the conversion. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-red-sea-reefer-xl-425-build.358990/page-5

Thats exactly what I did expect use it to house a scrubber. The Red Sea ATO’s are a joke of a size  

68B1FDA1-218C-4BC9-A578-0FDC0A7B4928.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Oregonic said:

I run a skimmer and a algae scrubber. I fell the scrubber exports nutrients that have broke down but the skimmer removes large particles before they break down and helps keep a stable ph. Pretty much what @Manny Tavan said but a scrubber instead. A scrubber may be a better option for you since you have limited space. 

I actually have an algae scrubber I’m not using, suppose it would be easier to just plumb that in and keep the skimmer. Think I’ll see how that does for awhile. 

• Like 1

I did skimmerless for a few years much more work and getting nutriants out is a pain
More work? Explain yourself sir! Lol.
I've been skimmerless for about two years. Just run filter socks and cheato. Little to no work at all. I wont say ill never go back to a skimmer, but not in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1