Sps problem.

Vance164

Sorry was at school when I posted needed to test water still.

Alk: 8.4

Cal: 400

Mag: 1480

Phos: 0.03

Nitrate: 5ppm

Salinity: 1.26

Ph: 7.6

75 gallon with about 30 gallon sump. Simplicity 240 skimmer just did a 30 gallon water change parameter were close to the same before water change. No other corals seem to be showing any problems.

I will look closely for anything but haven't noticed anythig

Edit: I looked really closely didn't notice anything but I will continue to look. Could it be one of my fish? Yellow tang jewel damsel and melarnius wrasse

Edited by Vance164

30g is a pretty big WC for a system that size. If your WC water is not balanced to the alk in your tank (I can tell you that it is not since you are not dosing) you are swinging the heck out of your alk with your WCs. SPS hate alk swings. What salt are you using? If it is something like RSCP that is going to be your problem right there.

I'm using Kent marine salt the alk was at 9.5 a few days before the wc first water change I had done in a month. Which from what I have read for dosing alk 1 point change is an acceptable amount for increasing. Nothing else seems to be mad just this one coral. I'm still pretty new to this I have a little over 100 gallons of volume so I figured 30% wc wouldn't be too big of a deal? I come from an estimated index planted tank so I'm use to doing weekly large water changes so learning this small water change game

Has it gotten worse?  How are the other SPS?  I know a lot of people don't chase pH but 7.6 seems a bit low to me.  I'm not saying that's the reason.  I know in the winter time, we tend to keep doors/windows closed and oxygen level can drop enough to cause pH in our tanks to drop.  To test, you can take a cup of your tank water and place it outside for a bit then test the pH.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

The nearby polyps looks happy so I don't think it's your water parameters.  It doesn't look like ALK burn to me since that usually happens at the tips.  From my experience with black slug that start at the base and work up, not sure about acro nudi or flatworms.  If the frag is easily removed, maybe dip it to see if anything comes off.

Has it gotten worse? How are the other SPS? I know a lot of people don't chase pH but 7.6 seems a bit low to me. I'm not saying that's the reason. I know in the winter time, we tend to keep doors/windows closed and oxygen level can drop enough to cause pH in our tanks to drop. To test, you can take a cup of your tank water and place it outside for a bit then test the pH.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/

The nearby polyps looks happy so I don't think it's your water parameters. It doesn't look like ALK burn to me since that usually happens at the tips. From my experience with black slug that start at the base and work up, not sure about acro nudi or flatworms. If the frag is easily removed, maybe dip it to see if anything comes off.

Ph has seemed low to me also I'll try placing it outside and testing and I will report back. I will also try and remove it and dip tonight to see if anything comes off. No other corals show any signs

I also wonder if there is something nearby that is stinging it. Any other neighboring corals? Do you see any hydroids nearby? The area looks too localized for me to think it is something with your parameters and like you I would expect that other corals would be showing signs.

I think dipping is a good idea and just looking around and seeing if there is anything else that could be touching it.

• Like 1

I also wonder if there is something nearby that is stinging it. Any other neighboring corals? Do you see any hydroids nearby? The area looks too localized for me to think it is something with your parameters and like you I would expect that other corals would be showing signs.

I think dipping is a good idea and just looking around and seeing if there is anything else that could be touching it.

I was very suprised the first time I seen the stingers or sweepers on the chalices and the different soft corals I have.

Flashlight your tank and see if anything is stinging it. I think I am just repeating what queen E was saying

The only thing I've seen put out sweepers is the Hollywood stunne . And it's quite aways away nothing is super close to it.

Thank you everyone who has responded I appreciate it

FYI: Hollywood stunners have some of the longest sweepers that I have seen.

I have seen them come out and they are long about 3-4 inches. But there's a coral between this and the Hollywood stunner so I'm going to rule that out

Just finished dipping this piece and I saw nothing come off.

But I did notice this on my green star polyps you guys have any ideas.

20170216_165821_zpswur0pqmf.jpg

Edited by Vance164

I have seen them come out and they are long about 3-4 inches. But there's a coral between this and the Hollywood stunner so I'm going to rule that out

Just finished dipping this piece and I saw nothing come off.

But I did notice this on my green star polyps you guys have any ideas.

20170216_165821_zpswur0pqmf.jpg

Mini feather dusters worms?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk