Fungia baby on the way?

Flashy Fins

I know most people keep these on the sandbed, so this might look quite different than you're used to, but I think I have a baby on the way. The plate has never done this before, and I can't imagine what else could be going on. 

DSC_4752.jpg    DSC_4758.jpg

I realize right now it looks like a man's... underjunk, if that pleases the censors.  :wacko: 

Hard to get pictures, due to the angle of the rock, but you get the idea. 

Btw, that's chaeto behind it, not the greenest glass you've ever seen. A stray couple of pieces turned into a big ball once I added a Jebao wavewaker, and I'm letting it chill there till the new tank is up. Also, I keep plate corals on the rocks for two reasons: 1) that's how they are in the wild, and 2) I'm out of sandbed space. (Upgrade slowly coming together; almost there!)

Holy smokes that is awesome!  How did you attach it to the rock without squishing the polyps?  Super glue?  Love it, congrats!

It was already on a frag disc when I bought it, so I was able to attach it like any other coral. I got it from Matty, so maybe he can tell us more?

I glued both my ricordia and yuma directly to rocks, and they took without a problem, but they were both no choice situations (purchased with no rock attached). I've read if you are trying to remove yuma babies from rocks, it's best to chip off the rock around it and keep it attached, and I would guess that's the best plan for fungia, too. My orange yuma has a couple of babies, so I'm planning to chip them away when I move everything over to the new tank, and if this plate baby drops, I'll chip that away, as well. I'd strategically place a clean frag disc there if I had one, but I don't, so I'll just let it land wherever it wants to land. I have a thing for the not-so-fraggable types of corals, so it's nice seeing some reproduction in the tank!

Actually, fungia is probably much easier than yuma or ricordia, since it has a skeleton. Just glue to the disc in its normal upright position, then once it's dry, glue that disc in any direction on the main rock, since you'll be able to hold the rim of the disc while the glue dries. 

I have 2 Fungia farms that I would be willing to sell if anyone is interested.  I'm not sure what a fair price would be, but I have about 10 on the sand and a butt-load of them that are developing and still attached. (approx. 16-20)  A great way to help finance this hobby...  These are the green w/ purple mouths.  I would appreciate some input on a fair price. 

It was already on a frag disc when I bought it, so I was able to attach it like any other coral. I got it from Matty, so maybe he can tell us more?

I glued both my ricordia and yuma directly to rocks, and they took without a problem, but they were both no choice situations (purchased with no rock attached). I've read if you are trying to remove yuma babies from rocks, it's best to chip off the rock around it and keep it attached, and I would guess that's the best plan for fungia, too. My orange yuma has a couple of babies, so I'm planning to chip them away when I move everything over to the new tank, and if this plate baby drops, I'll chip that away, as well. I'd strategically place a clean frag disc there if I had one, but I don't, so I'll just let it land wherever it wants to land. I have a thing for the not-so-fraggable types of corals, so it's nice seeing some reproduction in the tank!

I'm no help, I bought it that way also. Very cool it is producing babies, keep me in mind if you decide to sell them.

• Like 1

Fungia can be fragged...

I haven't posted here in a long time, but a couple of years ago I had a thread where I fragged a fungia. I used a dremmel with a diamond wheel to cut it into 9 pieces like a tic-tac-toe board. or a #hashtag. They each grew a new mouth, and quickly started to round out as they grew. I had a couple of them left when I finally broke my tank down.

It looks like I can't find my old thread on here, but I also started a thread about it on NR.com

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/198351-fragging-a-fungia/

cheers!

dsoz

• Like 2

Fungia can be fragged...

I haven't posted here in a long time, but a couple of years ago I had a thread where I fragged a fungia. I used a dremmel with a diamond wheel to cut it into 9 pieces like a tic-tac-toe board. or a #hashtag. They each grew a new mouth, and quickly started to round out as they grew. I had a couple of them left when I finally broke my tank down.

It looks like I can't find my old thread on here, but I also started a thread about it on NR.com

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/198351-fragging-a-fungia/

Wow, very impressive! I would not have thought a mouthless piece would do so well. Maybe I'll wait till I have a decent size baby and give this a try...

Thanks for sharing!

I have a fungia that I got from a guy who was about to throw it away. It was pretty much dead other than that little slice of purple. I thought I might be able to rehabilitate it. I didn't get the slice to extend it all, but look what popped up. It's been about six months at least since I saw the first baby pop out. I'm not sure how this is going to work out from here but wouldn't it be great if all those babies matured and fell off of the mother?

105a958a6bab0f43e241db7bcd14f1ec.jpg

• Like 1

I have a fungia that I got from a guy who was about to throw it away. It was pretty much dead other than that little slice of purple. I thought I might be able to rehabilitate it. I didn't get the slice to extend it all, but look what popped up. It's been about six months at least since I saw the first baby pop out. I'm not sure how this is going to work out from here but wouldn't it be great if all those babies matured and fell off of the mother?

Oh that is so cool, someone local with acanthocauli 

Nice work!

Now if someone could get those sunset plates to do that... wow... a gold mine of trading fodder...

That is really cool, I have a a much much smaller one that produces the greens. Like Clark said you never see ones that are of the bright oranges, but I bet it is because those are most coveted. Jody at TECO has one that produces the Purple Fission but he mentioned it is a bit of a process. 

The picture didn't capture it really well, but it is definitely purple.  On R2R I found a thread indicating that the person "removed" or "snapped off" the babies.  Any idea how I would do this?  Or will they fall off on their own?  I would have thought they would have done that already since they are growing over one another.

I bet if you feed and water those plants every day, they'll bloom like this in a week or so...  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

980x.jpg

Mine just has the one baby; thankfully, no indication of the mother being ill. I notice it's hanging lower today. I took a few pictures as the current blew it around, so you can see it from different angles. Interesting to see the white that I presume is/will become the skeleton. 

DSC_4760.jpg DSC_4761.jpg DSC_4762.jpg DSC_4763.jpg DSC_4764.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi! OP lives!  Got busy with life and fell off the face of the earth PNWMAS forum. Happens to me from time to time.  :blush:

Hanging fungia blob eventually dropped. I didn't keep an exact timetable, but I don't think it took more than a few days from my last post to be hanging by a string so thin, it would not have shown in a photo. It fell onto the sand, where it's happily growing at a decent rate. You can see it's still very small, but it was about half this size when it first dropped. So far, so good!

DSC_5726s.jpg

Lights are not on for the day yet, so I flashed the blues for just a minute to snap a picture. Woke up the firefish, who would like to know why a camera is in his face at 6:30 in the morning. He sleeps on the sandbed behind the green brain coral you can see just the edge of, bottom right. Go back to bed, fishy! Better yet, pick a new bed in the rockwork, so you don't wake up with coral burns every few days from snuggling with the brain!  :nutty:

• Like 5