Hey gang, new to saltwater

vicmacki

Just dropping in to say hi

Been into freshwater planted tanks and decided to make the plunge into salt. No tanks set up yet however i just picked up two turnkey saltwater tanks. They were just tore down by another member.

Looking forward to reading through the forum and meeting some people.

Thanks

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow so many replies. I got slammed for awhile but back in it.

Welcome vicmacki! That's awesome! Do your setups have established liverock/sand?

I started with Caribsea Arag-Alive Bahamas Oolite, 20lbs worth. And 8 good sized live rocks.

It is a 14 gallon Oceanic bio-cube.

if your missing pieces for the tank let us know.. 

or when its cycled we have coral for ya.. 

For salt I would recommend Cuttlefish and Coral to get the box of Kent Reef Salt, if your in the Portland area

I did not experience a cycle, or it cycled really fast, it's been running for almost 5 weeks now. I think maybe because the amount of live sand and live rock? Also i used a bottle of beneficial bacteria when first starting, don't remember the brand though.

Week three i added some red and blue legged hermit crabs. Last weekend i added a turbo snail and a cleaner shrimp and a very small pulsing xenia. So far everyone is doing pretty well.

I also tore out all the flourescent lighting and mounted a 12inch Finnex fugeray Marine + and a regular 12inch Finnex Fugeray. Though i think i'll probably swap out the regular Fugeray for the Ray 2 for the 10k leds.

That's the advantage of getting a tank that has just been broken down... all the coral/sand is still live. Post a pic of your tank! :)

An upgrade on the lighting would help, that gives you a total 13.9W for your 14G. You could probably use more.

I have a 19W 38PAR lamp on my 10G refugium, and it is doing well.

https://reefledlights.com/ledmytank/

Here is a great example of a nano-reef aquarium (Oceanic Biocube 14) illuminated strictly with LED lighting. The stock compact fluorescent lighting (48 watts total) has been completely removed from the hood and replaced with a single 12 watt White & Blue Panorama Module along with two 6 watt 453nm Blue Stunner LED strips. (total 24w)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K8mhMMMHfM

Edited by JManrow

With my current lighting i am getting about 80 par at the substrate and over 120 up where my one coral is. I think i definitely am going to need more water flow though. I will try and get some pictures up this weekend. 

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Vicmacki! I'm pretty new here, but this community is so welcoming and willing to help with anything and everything! It's great! I live in the tri-cities, so if you want to meet  and car pool for monthly meetings or need help, give me a shout out and we should be able to make it happen! 

• 4 weeks later...

hey Vicmacki, welcome! im also kind of new, but have already overloaded myself with info from this site. People here are super helpful, and have already helped save my livestock, and some cash monayyy!!!

Dont be afraid to pm people, ask for help, or what ever! read over the rules so you dont get people angry... haha

but over all, its good to have ya. 

Let me know if theres anything i can help with. 

• 1 month later...

Well, the tanks been up and running for four months now. Current stock is 1 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, 2 emerald crabs (love these guys) and 1 carpenter wrasse and some hermit crabs and turbo snails.

Looking for advise and some easy to grow corals. Thinking about trying some green star polyps. Quick refresher the tank is a 14 gallon bio cube with a couple finnex marine+ leds.

Thanks