Am i the only one?

PowderBlue

Seems to me every time I go in the LFS, any of em I go to, I hear someone bickering about the price, trying to widdle the owner down, complaining how expensive of a hobby this is. Trying to work out a "trade." I understand money is tight for a lot of people, but we are keeping living creatures! If you can't afford a water change or the correct things to keep these fish, corals etc healthy, please give someone else the chance to buy it and give it the proper care. LFS owners are not in this to run a charity, they are business owners trying to make a living just as we are! I wish some people understood how hard and time consuming our hobby is before they dive into it. Kill countless animals, then "get sick of it!"

Rant over.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to play the games when i first got into the hobby but over the past year or so if i don't like the price i don't buy it. I drive to Salem and pay for gas (added cost) just to have good customer service. I've realized that paying less isn't always worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I agree but the last time I was in upscales a guy asked for literally half off then complained because they wouldn't make the deal. Look at it like this, if you owed a biz, would you take half of what your asking? If your spending 200 bucks and ask for like 20 bucks off that's not so bad, but buying a 20 dollar fish and asking to pay 10 is a bit much.

I agree but the last time I was in upscales a guy asked for literally half off then complained because they wouldn't make the deal. Look at it like this' date=' if you owed a biz, would you take half of what your asking? If your spending 200 bucks and ask for like 20 bucks off that's not so bad, but buying a 20 dollar fish and asking to pay 10 is a bit much.[/quote']

Agreed, but we now live in a world where common sense no longer exist and most poeple just don't get it.

I used to play the games when i first got into the hobby but over the past year or so if i don't like the price i don't buy it. I drive to Salem and pay for gas (added cost) just to have good customer service. I've realized that paying less isn't always worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I dont play it. If the price is fair Im interested if not I pass.

Agreed, but we now live in a world where common sense no longer exist and most poeple just don't get it.

Lol oh how I agree with this 100% haha!! I'm with noob if the price I feel is fair I pay it. If not I just pass on the little guy, or coral, whatever it may be

It's called Fair Market Value... the price vaires depending on avaliablity and demand.. If you have something priced to high most customers won't buy till the price comes down. It goes hand in hand with the golden rule. 10% of your customers are golden (they drive your sales) they give you 90% of your profitt. The other 90% (they are the ones that haggle the most on the price or wait for it to go on sale) customers just move the inventory. Sit on your inventroy to long it gets old and the golden customers start over look it.. One hazard of over pricing ( and their are several) when the price comes down the Customer that paid full price will feel over charged and you may lose the 10% customer base that pays the bills. This is a major reason most business fail with in the first 1-2 yrs. IMHO but what would I know just 18 years as a business and finance manager just saying. Rant Over.

perfect example of Fair Market Value "how I agree with this 100% haha!! I'm with noob if the price I feel is fair I pay it" (and these are the golden customers)

It's called Fair Market Value... the price vaires depending on avaliablity and demand.. If you have something priced to high most customers won't buy till the price comes down. It goes hand in hand with the golden rule. 10% of your customers are golden (they drive your sales) they give you 90% of your profitt. The other 90% (they are the ones that haggle the most on the price or wait for it to go on sale) customers just move the inventory. Sit on your inventroy to long it gets old and the golden customers start over look it.. One hazard of over pricing ( and their are several) when the price comes down the Customer that paid full price will feel over charged and you may lose the 10% customer base that pays the bills. This is a major reason most business fail with in the first 1-2 yrs. IMHO but what would I know just 18 years as a business and finance manager just saying. Rant Over.

Glad I know you!!!

perfect example of Fair Market Value "how I agree with this 100% haha!! I'm with noob if the price I feel is fair I pay it" (and these are the golden customers)

I understand and totally agree. I've managed multiple stores, had to drive sales, while keeping the gross profit dollars at a reasonable end number. Much easier said than done. Especially with today's economy. Most stores I go to have very similar pricing so most places seem fair to me. Just want people to take a step back and really look into the hobby before they get their feet wet lol

I'm just the kinda guy that waits for sales or whatever. I also try to get a bundle going. When I go to Garrett's, I'll usually say, "What can you get me for $40" or something. He's always hooks me up a little better than if I just picked this, that and whatever.

The problem with comparing a LFS to most other retail stores is the fact most don't post clear prices on their livestock. I hate going into a store and having to ask what everything costs, worse is when one employee tells me one price and another a different price. Seems to me if they are gonna pull the prices out of the air then they are up for negotiation.

The problem with comparing a LFS to most other retail stores is the fact most don't post clear prices on their livestock. I hate going into a store and having to ask what everything costs' date=' worse is when one employee tells me one price and another a different price. Seems to me if they are gonna pull the prices out of the air then they are up for negotiation.[/quote']

+1 on this, it would be nice to see clearly marked prices.

The problem with comparing a LFS to most other retail stores is the fact most don't post clear prices on their livestock. I hate going into a store and having to ask what everything costs' date=' worse is when one employee tells me one price and another a different price. Seems to me if they are gonna pull the prices out of the air then they are up for negotiation.[/quote']

+1 Its a little weird to ask 50 times how much is this one (laugh) But it seems the more I look around the lower prices go so I guess its not all bad.

Yeah I agree on the price thing I would be more willing to buy things if they are clearly marked as to what they cost that is my biggest complaint not being able to tell how much things cost and usually if I cant tel I dont inquire I just pass it up. If i walked in and the coral I was looking at was clearly marked with a price even if it was a little steep I would buy it but as is almost never buy corals from shops because I dont know how much they are. How ever fellow reefers on this site have very clearly marked prices and is where I buy 90% of my live stock =)