pump suggestions

stylaster

I have had good success with mag drives as well, but they're a little loud and less efficient than others on the market.

If you have the dough, you can't go wrong with an Eheim 1262. They're conservatively rated @ 900GPH, but they hold up VERY well to head pressure. I swapped out a Mag 9.5 for a 1262, and had to dial back the flow because the drain couldn't keep up with the 1262 @ full bore.

Mag 9.5 is 93w, 1262 is 80w.

I have had good success with mag drives as well, but they're a little loud and less efficient than others on the market.

If you have the dough, you can't go wrong with an Eheim 1262. They're conservatively rated @ 900GPH, but they hold up VERY well to head pressure. I swapped out a Mag 9.5 for a 1262, and had to dial back the flow because the drain couldn't keep up with the 1262 @ full bore.

Mag 9.5 is 93w, 1262 is 80w.

Have used both mag and eheim both are great pumps but I agree with chewie the eheims are super quite and just a bit above mags. And of course they are more $

• 2 weeks later...

Mag drives are good. I have also had good luck with the cheaper Via aqua pumps. I had 2 that were 19 bucks each. Used them both for 3 years then sold one with a skimmer. The other is still working great but not in service right now. Right now I have a genex but its external and been up for 2 years running quietly. Never even cleaned anything but the intake screen : )

Jay

Jay

Guest Moderator2

beat me to it, mag is my cheap recommendation Eheim is the premium, I have both and love both of them, the eheim is far quieter. Both very reliable.

Ehiem all the way. You have seen my little sump and all the pumps in there were ehiem. The noise factor is nill and they are great. As for the mag pumps great price but you pay a price in the noise they create. My reactor had one on it and could not stand the sound it made. Do it right the first time and just get a Ehiem:D