Hair algae is back

Zoolander

I can agree with a lot of what that article has to say, but I dont agree about the scrubbing. I think that we did the right thing removing as much as possible. Now, what feeds the algae is phosphates and nitrates. You definitely have those things working against you. I would get a skimmer ( a good skimmer ) as soon as you can afford it. I would also continue to come over to my place and get RODI water to top off with. Tap water just adds to the nutrient problem. Flake foods are bad, and overfeeding in general is bad too. A skimmer would greatly reduce the impact of feeding, as well as the nutrients in the water now.

I can agree with a lot of what that article has to say' date=' but I dont agree about the scrubbing. I think that we did the right thing removing as much as possible. Now, what feeds the algae is phosphates and nitrates. You definitely have those things working against you. I would get a skimmer ( a good skimmer ) as soon as you can afford it. I would also continue to come over to my place and get RODI water to top off with. Tap water just adds to the nutrient problem. Flake foods are bad, and overfeeding in general is bad too. A skimmer would greatly reduce the impact of feeding, as well as the nutrients in the water now.[/quote']

They didn't really say if they meant scrubbing in the tank or out. I could see if you were scrubbing in the tank it would be really bad. but if you took it out that would only help.

The things that helped me...

1) Never underestimate need to change bulbs regularly!

2) Never underestimate how many snails/crabs you should have in your tank!

3) Never underestimate the need for VERY good circulation!

4) Never underestimate the benefit of nutrient export (skimmer, water changes)!

5) Do not overfeed!

Most importantly...do not allow yourself to STRESS over hair algae!!

It happens in the best of tanks. I used to get bent out of shape when I'd get an outbreak...For some reason, frustration seems to make hair algae grow faster!!(nono)

Good luck!

The things that helped me...

1) Never underestimate need to change bulbs regularly!

2) Never underestimate how many snails/crabs you should have in your tank!

3) Never underestimate the need for VERY good circulation!

4) Never underestimate the benefit of nutrient export (skimmer, water changes)!

5) Do not overfeed!

Most importantly...do not allow yourself to STRESS over hair algae!!

It happens in the best of tanks. I used to get bent out of shape when I'd get an outbreak...For some reason, frustration seems to make hair algae grow faster!!(nono)

Good luck!

I am in need of new VHO's in a bad way. Will be getting those asap, and I am going to be grabbing 25 snails and 20 hermits also I think. I have a sea hare but he has slowed down on the grazing in the last 2 weeks. He was a machine for a solid 2 months their. It was all but gone from just him really. He went from less then 2" to over 5" in like a month it seemed.:eek:

Very good article it covers all the main points. I had a hair algae outbreak in my second year and ended up tearing my tank down and moving it. I believe water quality is number one, from the start good ro-di then circulation, skimming etc. I would place the snails and hermits at the bottom of the list, they can play a small role in keeping rock and sand clean but they do not eat hair algae and to many in any tank will just result in their death.

The only other thing I did was move my tank from a room where it was in a corner (the back and side against the wall ) to a spot where the tank was "free standing" with room and air flow all around it.

good luck

I was having a hair algae problem that was driving me crazy. I bolstered my cleaning crew. Increased the flow in my tank. And got rid of my large egg crate frag rack - which I think was limiting flow and providing a lot of surface area for the hair algae to grow.

Finally, I switched my primary feeding to Rod's food - in addition to Cyclopeze and Mysis. I was feeding a frozen food from Petco (whistle) called Emerald Entree - and I think it had a lot of phosphates.

Not sure if any one thing did the trick - or a combo of all four. My lights are unchanged.

I still have some macro that I have to pull out every once in a while, but little/no hair algae (knock on wood - please don't curse me algae gods).

I do have an Algae Blenny, but I don't think he eats hair algae.

Always use rodi water even for top off. This is probably the biggest cause of algae. Next would be a poor skimmer and current then overfeeding where the food id left on the bottom to rott then always and I meen always defrost your frozen food on a folded paper towel to catch the juice and quit feeding any flake or pellet food. Stick with your seafood mixtures but just dont add any juice to the water. I have been algae free till this last year...thats 7 years without a problem except the first year. I now have algae problem in my tank....it just goes with reefkeeping. Unless it is completly covering your rock and is unsightly dont worry that much about it. Just keep up your maintenance. I would add a refugium with cheato if you havent already. I have not read this entire thread so sorry if I am repeating others advice.

Jay

A cole tang eats it. But I dont think he would keep up with a huge amount of algae. I would say invest in a good RO/DI unit and test its output with a TDS meter. Simple as this....add no water unless it reads zero on the meter. If its above 5 tds then change the rezin beads.

Jay

Thanks, guys. It's a 55 and I don't have a skimmer. I cannot justify buying one, though, until after my car show May 9th because my extra money needs to go into that. So unless there is one for free ninety-nine I can't use that fix for another month.

I was having a hair algae problem that was driving me crazy. I bolstered my cleaning crew. Increased the flow in my tank. And got rid of my large egg crate frag rack - which I think was limiting flow and providing a lot of surface area for the hair algae to grow.

Finally, I switched my primary feeding to Rod's food - in addition to Cyclopeze and Mysis. I was feeding a frozen food from Petco (whistle) called Emerald Entree - and I think it had a lot of phosphates.

Not sure if any one thing did the trick - or a combo of all four. My lights are unchanged.

I still have some macro that I have to pull out every once in a while, but little/no hair algae (knock on wood - please don't curse me algae gods).

I do have an Algae Blenny, but I don't think he eats hair algae.

i had a hair algae scare too but i do weekly water changes with rodi water only and i added a few more snails and an algae blenny..and mine loves the stuff :) but i still have frickin macro that i gotta pull out every 2 weeks or so (flame)

Thanks' date=' guys. It's a 55 and I don't have a skimmer. I cannot justify buying one, though, until after my car show May 9th because my extra money needs to go into that. So unless there is one for free ninety-nine I can't use that fix for another month.[/quote']

are you gonna be in the car show or just attending? lol

Albany

www.eurosinthevalley.com

Oregon's largest European car show. :)

Hijack Alert (naughty)

Hey Zoolander - thanks for the link. That looks pretty cool. I drive a 2001 S4 Avant 6M but it's pretty near stock... rare car though from what I can tell. I may have to try and make it down there at some point. I wonder if Futrell Autowerks (local APR tuner) is going to be there?

Hijack Alert over

Good luck with the hair algae, seem like a never ending fight. I have had good luck with my tangs but it usually requires an assortment to clear everything out. At one point, I had a scopas, sohal and kole - everybody eat different algae but it sure kept the tank clean. Seems like you have been getting lots of good advice already but I would definitely take the issue of natural sunlight to heart as that seems to be a major contributor to many algae outbreaks due to the more favorable spectrum of the light (well, favorable to algae anyway). That and take Curtis up on his offer of RO/DI - that is a huge help.

Keep up the good fight!