Floor joist update!

siskiou

Well, I was right!

We have no floor joists! :eek:

The contractor just left and here is the verdict:

It's a post and pier foundation, and the floor is made from tongue and groove (sp?) 2x6s, with a subfloor on top of that and then the hardwood floor.

The contractor thinks it's strong enough, since the tank would be sitting right along the middle main beam and there is another beam about 6 feet away from that one. If we wanted a brace, it would run from $250 - possibly more, depending on how long it takes.

The price is higher, because of our miserable crawl space making it a challenge to work under.

What's the general opinion? Brace or no brace?

Are tongue and groove 2x6s a good support ?

Just for fun, here is a picture to see how messy the crawlspace is! :)

-Susanne

post-46-141867765081_thumb.jpg

just go to home depot and get about 4 of those concrete pads that they use to support decks and get some 4x4 posts and crawl under there and do it yerself. U can do it for probably less than 50 bucks. No certifications necessary....just place the pads along the beam and measure your lengths + about 1/4" and wedge the beams under there.

The new tank isn't going to be set up for a few weeks!

Are you in Eugene in the near future! :D

The problem is, that my husband is not going to fit under there and he gets asthma easily. The dust in the crawlspace would do him in, and the spiders would do *me* in! ;)

Guest Ahbrit

i agree

i had 5 people in my crawlspace once when we were modifying it. There was no mention of cost. All you have to do is supply the beverages

I say get the PNWMAS officers down there as a group and get them to help you :-P

Can you use trusses as a brace?

Though I'm not sure how to fit one through the small access hole into out crawlspace, if trusses are what I think they are! :)

Better support than joists, right?

We are getting another estimate next Wednesday, so we'll see what comes up then.

i agree

i had 5 people in my crawlspace once when we were modifying it. There was no mention of cost. All you have to do is supply the beverages

I say get the PNWMAS officers down there as a group and get them to help you :-P

I would love to help, but I am still broken from the bike accident. I make a great supervisor!!! (laugh)

I'm sure we can get some people together to get this done.

Jay

Let me re-interate, he works for Trus Joist...... so whatever.... Obvoisly floor joist would be the best thing. But let your guy figur out what shes going to do and lets go from there.

Can you use trusses as a brace?

Though I'm not sure how to fit one through the small access hole into out crawlspace, if trusses are what I think they are! :)

Better support than joists, right?

We are getting another estimate next Wednesday, so we'll see what comes up then.

As the token female of the officers and board... I am not crawling under there! This is one of the VERY few times you all will ever hear me sounding like a girl! (laugh)

But I'd be more than happy to serve beverages or make cookies for all the sweaty men! ;)