Quick Question

USCG CWO

Is there any reason why I can not cap the return hole in my corner overflow, and then drill the back of my 75g and use that for the return. I believe this would give me better flow.

I want to cap the return here

P2260067.jpg[/img]

And drill for something like this

P2260062.jpg[/img]

Thanks

Shane

Actually, I think he is recommending to have two drain lines connected in the overflow. That way, if one gets pluged for some reason (wayward snail for instance) the second can act as a backup and prevent an overflow. I think a lot of folk on here (including myself) have things set up that way.

Hope that helps.

Actually, I think he is recommending to have two drain lines connected in the overflow. That way, if one gets pluged for some reason (wayward snail for instance) the second can act as a backup and prevent an overflow. I think a lot of folk on here (including myself) have things set up that way.

Hope that helps.

Sweet!! Now I understand. Try to do a modified, what do they call that thing, a hofer gurgle buster, but instead of a three pipe overflow I would have two.

With that idea in mind, I don't think I have enough room for two Durso's in there. I might be able to fit two Stockman type overflows. Would I keep them the same height or one slightly taller than the other one??

I am definatley going to explore this a lot more. Thanks for the ideas!!!

John, in the custom sump that is being built for me I have refugium already built in, though one can never have enough Cheato. I would worry that it might stop up stop important in the drain section and send the water pouring over the sides onto my hard wood floors.

Shane

I did one of these and it mad it silent. I only hear sump trickle now on my 75G. It is wonderful

I have 2 dursos in my 75gal overflow. Always a good idea to have a backup!

Snowpunk/Impur do either one of you have photos by chance? (whistle)

So will your new return also come straight out of a copy machine?

And I don't care you you are that is just funny!!!(laugh)(laugh)

My LT finally broke down and purchased a 40b. That first picture was from his new tank.

SHane

That was so i could see the flow from the SCWD switching (laugh)

Shane - you are seeing correctly, good eye too!! I wanted to rely on 1 drain, the lower one, and the other is a backup. I'd rather all the flow go thru the drain i designed it for and if that gets plugged, the higher up drain would take over. After having that tank up for a few months I added a fuge. I changed the height of the overflows so the majority of the water went to the sump thru 1 drain, the other went to the fuge with a much lower flow. Then the fuge drained into the sump.

In my 75 now i have the 1" drain as the main, it is lower than the backup drain which is 3/4".

Excellant!! That is what I plan on doing then, use my 1 inch as the drain and the 3/4" will take over in an emergency.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I would have capped the 3/4" drain and never even thought about having an emergency backup.

I love this forum!!! (rock2)

Shane

Excellant!! That is what I plan on doing then, use my 1 inch as the drain and the 3/4" will take over in an emergency.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I would have capped the 3/4" drain and never even thought about having an emergency backup.

I love this forum!!! (rock2)

Shane

Dont forget about the tassel to check flow(clap)