D&D terminator skimmers?

reefgeek84

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No! I have to go to work soon, and want to find out about it, too! :)

I'm just as ignorant when it comes to the more advanced skimmers!

Maybe a diagram where to connect the output from the tank, and where the excess water would exit on this particular skimmer?

No! I have to go to work soon, and want to find out about it, too! :)

I'm just as ignorant when it comes to the more advanced skimmers!

Maybe a diagram where to connect the output from the tank, and where the excess water would exit on this particular skimmer?

if impur comes in and explains it I will copy and post it in this thread...

How's this:

skimmers.gif

The Venturi skimmer can use either a standard pump, or a needlewheel pump. The water is pumped in and mixed with air either via pure venturi effect, or with the help of the needlewheel pump.

The recirculating skimmer is fed water via gravity, or from a pump. Usually, a needlewheel pump is used to draw water in from the bottom part of the skimmer and mixed with air, then put back into the top half of the skimmer -- thus 'recirculating.' The drain is taken from the bottom of the skimmer, and the height of the water column in the skimmer can be controlled by restricting the water-out line with a ball valve. It looks to me like that Terminator skimmer is not using a NW pump, instead is just using pure venturi for air/water mixing.

[reefgeek84] 4:43 pm: Next generation protein skimmer features durable, seamless UniMax design for years of

quality use. Heavy walled acrylic body eliminates potential leaks and angular concentrator top provides

unparalleled control over foam consistency. Its unique closed looped Venturi system allows superior air/water

mixture and increases contact time within the reaction chamber for efficient removal of dissolved organic waste

materials. For marine aquariums up to 300 gallons. Limited lifetime manufacturer's warra

[reefgeek84] 4:43 pm: that is the description that goes with it...

[reefgeek84] 4:44 pm: so what would it take to allow the tank to drain into this?

[andy] 4:44 pm: If it is a recirculating skimmer, you can just have a standard overflow drain directly to it

[reefgeek84] 4:45 pm: really? so this this ia recric skimmer then?

[andy] 4:45 pm: you might have to throttle the drain with a ball valve depending on how much the overflow can

deliver

[andy] 4:45 pm: That D&D Terminator is

[andy] 4:46 pm: what I don't understand is the device they sell

[andy] 4:46 pm: there is an overflow thing with some kind of servo on it

[reefgeek84] 4:46 pm: sweet so I can just have the tank drain into it, as long as I have a ball valve to control the

flow coming from? I was going to do that anyways...

[reefgeek84] 4:46 pm: yeah, they call it a sumpless kit...

[andy] 4:46 pm: I think that device is some kind of float-valve controlled overflow

that is the convo...so apparently this is a recirc skimmer...

I think something more like:

term.jpg

They're doing some funky things. Their input line is tied into their recirculating loop, and they have some kind of countercurrent baffle in the skimmer body. Here's a link to a previous version (prototype?). You can see they also have some kind of baffle on their output, maybe to cut down on microbubbles re-entering the tank?

Also, this thing freaks me out. I guess they need a float-switch controlled return pump to get the water back from the skimmer to the tank if you are running sumpless -- but the open servo looks pretty vulnerable to salt-spray.

I've never seen Uniseals used as bulkheads, and I've read postings discouraging their use there. I think they aren't 100% reliable under very heavy loads (like the pressure behind a couple-hundred gallons of water).

The Eheim NW pump is supposed to be similar in size/capacity to the 1250, though slightly different internally -- as well as the obvious impeller difference.

the uniseals are rated to 40psi max./ I just setup a bucket today, DSB. I'll let ya know what i think in a couple of days(whistle)

Right, but it doesn't have a riser in it that i can see, so the foam would rise up and overflow since its open top. I would think that drain fitting should be on the lower side of the angled top. The foam would overflow on the lower part of that angled top before it gets to the drain fitting.

These skimmers are whack. (laugh)

I'm not sure the angular collection cup is open topped, I think it is sealed but just not easily seen in the photos. There is a hosebarb fitting way up at the top; it'd be completely useless if the collection cup wasn't sealed -- assuming (heh, you know what they say about assuming (laugh)) the hosebarb is there for skimmate overflow... although I can't imagine what else it'd be for.

Overall, I think I'd avoid this skimmer; there's just too much [language filter]? stuff on it. Maybe it'd work great right out of the box, maybe after tuning, or maybe not at all -- why chance it when there are widely admired HOBs like the Aqua C Remora out there? This skimmer + the sumpless kit costs more than a Remora anyways.

If you drill your holes to the correct size for the uniseal you will have NO problems with them leaking, They use them for large water storage containers with no problems. The trick is to get the right size of hole if its off even a very tiny bit it will not seal the hole and it will leak.

I've got 2 in my sump for the overflows they are 1 1/2" and work great for this setup.

Rich

the uniseals are rated to 40psi max./ I just setup a bucket today' date=' DSB. I'll let ya know what i think in a couple of days(whistle)[/quote']