D&D terminator skimmers?

reefgeek84

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

skimmerwhisperer has one for $100 I think on Reef Frontiers. He says its a pretty sweet skimmer and he is very hard to please when it comes to skimmers. I think the only thing wrong with that one was that it had a crack in the collection cup, he fixed it perfectly though. Contact him that would be a good deal.

skimmerwhisperer has one for $100 I think on Reef Frontiers. He says its a pretty sweet skimmer and he is very hard to please when it comes to skimmers. I think the only thing wrong with that one was that it had a crack in the collection cup' date=' he fixed it perfectly though. Contact him that would be a good deal.[/quote']

yeah that is the one I am looking at...Just wondering if it is a good skimmer...but I think I will just get it, it is a recirculating one and that would be really nice.

Did you buy it?

I'm also looking for a bigger skimmer and have seen that one.

Nothing much to find about it on the forums, though, and I don't want to save at the wrong end...

Nope I did not he would not go down on price so it was 100 bucks and 25-30 ship it...I can get the newer model at drsfosterssmith.com for 150 bucks and there is nothing wrong with it. But I think I am going to go that route.

Yeah I hooked up my 1000 in a container last night in freshwater just to test it and it was still making bubbles!! They are prices well too. Also the Octopus NW200 is a nice one if you dont have room for the recirc. Later Ryan

1. Two, in the sides of a 'standard' countercurrent skimmer. One towards the bottom, the other just above the midpoint.
  2. Uniseals
  3. Wait for Eheim's needlewheel pump that comes out this December.

Thanks!

The uniseals sound great!

Do they actually work instead of regular bulkheads on a drilled tank?

Is the eheim NW a completely new pump, or can you stick the impellar into their regular pumps?

I've never seen Uniseals used as bulkheads, and I've read postings discouraging their use there. I think they aren't 100% reliable under very heavy loads (like the pressure behind a couple-hundred gallons of water).

The Eheim NW pump is supposed to be similar in size/capacity to the 1250, though slightly different internally -- as well as the obvious impeller difference.

That skimmer looks like its a recirc now. Water goes in that clear tube on the right, the pump just sucks in water, mixes it with air and chops up the air then pushes it back into the skimmer.

Recirc skimmers use a pump to pump from the skimmer back into the skimmer. There are a few ways to accomplish this, 1) directly feed the skimmer from the overflow, or 2) simply have a feed pump pump water to the skimmer(this is the DIY example i was referring to). A NW pump recirculates the water from the bottom of the skimmer, mixes with air, and pumps back to the bottom of the skimmer.

No, that is one of the ways they can be setup. In that case, the drain from the display drains into the skimmer, there is at least 1 NW pump that sucks in water from the bottom of the skimmer, injects air, mixes and pushes the water back into the skimmer toward the bottom. The bubbles collect proteins and rise to the collection cup like all skimmers. As the skimmer fills up with water, the excess water obviously drains into the sump.

The key is that the water in the skimmer is recirculated by the pump taking water from the bottom and pushing it back into the skimmer. With a low flow thru these skimmers, that water is skimmed and reskimmed for better efficiency.

Recirculating design is where the water within the skimmer passes through the venturi several times before it flows back in to the tank. As a result the water has several opportunities to come into contact with bubbles before flowing back so theoretically more dissolved material can be removed.

Hope that makes sense.

No, that is one of the ways they can be setup. In that case, the drain from the display drains into the skimmer, there is at least 1 NW pump that sucks in water from the bottom of the skimmer, injects air, mixes and pushes the water back into the skimmer toward the bottom. The bubbles collect proteins and rise to the collection cup like all skimmers. As the skimmer fills up with water, the excess water obviously drains into the sump.

The key is that the water in the skimmer is recirculated by the pump taking water from the bottom and pushing it back into the skimmer. With a low flow thru these skimmers, that water is skimmed and reskimmed for better efficiency.

Hope that makes sense.

So is it possible to set this one up to have the water from the main display drain into it? That is what I would like to accomplish...I am sorry I am ignorant on this subject.