water change container

markdadof2

So now that my 60 cube is only about 4-5 weeks away, I am starting to think logistics. What do you guys use to mix your saltwater up in? Do you move the container to bring it near your tank? How do you get the water into the tank - a pump or do you add the water to the sump then?

This has not been a concern for my nano as a 5 gallon bucket has fit the bill.

thanks in advance

-Mark

I have a 30g plastic rubbermaid garbage can on wheels. I have RO/DI water made and stored in the can. I usually keep it as RO/DI for top-off water. When I want to do a water change I usually make 2-3 buckets of SW from the water I keep on hand.

dsoz

Guest LisaJill

I use a 35 gallon Rubbermaid brute with a Mag pump (I think Mag 5) to mix and to pump into the tank.

I use a Python to pull water out of the tank and directly down the sink.

I keep the Brute under the ro/di unit in the laundry - I invested in the wheels for it so I can wheel it next to the tank for water change time, and it's not an eyesore the rest of the time.

I think the setup cost under $100 and it has saved me a great deal of back pain and spilt water; well worth it.

If you can move or set up your tank near your water source, even if its outside. I set up my tank the second time in our family room nook, right outside i have a hose bib. I set up a 40 gal rubbermaid with the ro/di and keep it 3/4 full for top off with a pump to aereate. when I want to do a water change I add salt, then pump out from the tank and then pump in the fresh saltwater

I use a rubbermaid container in the laundry room for mixing saltwater with a cheapo 600gph pump to mix.

From there I have to scoop it out into a bucket and lug that to the tank. A little bit of exercise! :D

Same with getting the water out of the tank: siphon into bucket and lug to the laundry room to dump.

A fish room is a dream for the future!

There is a place on columbia blvd that sells 55 gallon blue food grade plastic barrels with snapping lids. I have 2 of them and they work great.

Jay

They dont sell them anymore. Drove buy a while ago and they are all gone.

I still use a 5 gallon bucketDOH!

I use a 35 gallon Rubbermaid brute with a Mag pump (I think Mag 5) to mix and to pump into the tank.

I use a Python to pull water out of the tank and directly down the sink.

I keep the Brute under the ro/di unit in the laundry - I invested in the wheels for it so I can wheel it next to the tank for water change time, and it's not an eyesore the rest of the time.

I think the setup cost under $100 and it has saved me a great deal of back pain and spilt water; well worth it.

My setup is similar, but I went with the 45g Brute. I use the same pump for mixing and then pumping it into the tank - just add a hose (or redirect the end of the hose back into the can for mixing). This is much nicer than lugging buckets of water around. I agree that taking this into consideration when placing your tank is a good idea. Having a place nearby where you can set the trash can while mixing, etc. is helpful.

Guest LisaJill

Yea, I'd love a setup where I could drill a hole outside and drain the tank by switching a valve; and then another switch and bam water goes into the tank. Unfortunately, the reason I love my house is a lack of walls - there is nowhere near the tank to have a "fish room" at all, not even a fish closet. The wheels on that Brute were one of the best investments I made.

I keep the hose permanently attached the mag, took me an hour to get the thing on, it's not coming back off.

Seriously, though, this really is a huge improvement over buckets, I'd very much recommend it even if you can't automate it more. =)