which salt?

fishmanmike01

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a serious response -- I just measured my current batch of Red Sea Coral Pro water-change water. It's been simmering for a few days, and came out at (Elos test kits):

Ca: 480

Alk: 10 dKH

Mg: 1300

@35ppt

Those are good numbers by my eye. Not having to juice up w/c water is a good thing.

I find Red Sea Coral Pro to be rather floral with hints of strawberry and wood smoke; Tropic Marin is a bit dryer on the back of the palate and brings forth elements of citrus and motor oil.

I'm a wine guy. I was smiling till I got the motor oil, when I almost spit out my drink.

Scott

So' date=' any to definitely stay away from? In particular, for a nano reef.[/quote']

Pacific Coast Imports.

I mixed 2 separate batches and the new mix wouldn't clear up for over a day. I threw away the rest of the bag and mixed up some Oceanpure. The Oceanpure was clear in minutes.

I got the same results with Crystal sea Marinemix but that was years ago. I think it's better nowadays.

Other than that, I have used just about ALL saltmixes and can't really complain much about any of them. They all mix well and have never made a negative impact on my tanks.

Here's a serious response -- I just measured my current batch of Red Sea Coral Pro water-change water. It's been simmering for a few days, and came out at (Elos test kits):

Ca: 480

Alk: 10 dKH

Mg: 1300

@35ppt

Those are good numbers by my eye. Not having to juice up w/c water is a good thing.

Yep...Im gonna try this salt next time.

Jay

Pacific Coast Imports.

I mixed 2 separate batches and the new mix wouldn't clear up for over a day. I threw away the rest of the bag and mixed up some Oceanpure. The Oceanpure was clear in minutes.

I got the same results with Crystal sea Marinemix but that was years ago. I think it's better nowadays.

Other than that, I have used just about ALL saltmixes and can't really complain much about any of them. They all mix well and have never made a negative impact on my tanks.

Sometimes with the marinemix you will get white clay that doesnt mix down all the way. I asked Steve or woody what it was and they said that it was clay..something about where the salt was mined DOH!