Overflow Plumbing Question- 2 1 1/2" drains

R-3

Hey Im getting ready to plumb my peninsula tank and had some questions for the fellow tank plumbers out there.

I have two 1 1/2" holes in my overflow, how do I utilize both? Two Dursos?? Just trying to figure out how to incorporate both since its a 215G tank. I can fit 1 1/2" pipe in the box but would be nice to do like 1 1/4". Let me know what ideas ya guys got. Im using a Genx 4100 for a return up over the back of the tank. Thanks Ryan

I would go with a syphon overflow.

Both plumbed to the sump, but one has a valve. You adjust the valve so that one syphons the water and keeping the water level you desire. The second one is plumped to the height of the water. 99% of the water will syphon down the one with the valve and 1% trickle down the second one. The second one acts as a emergency incase the first gets blocked.

That is how I have done it on my 300gal. It is dead silent.

Theron

I would go with a syphon overflow.

Both plumbed to the sump, but one has a valve. You adjust the valve so that one syphons the water and keeping the water level you desire. The second one is plumped to the height of the water. 99% of the water will syphon down the one with the valve and 1% trickle down the second one. The second one acts as a emergency incase the first gets blocked.

That is how I have done it on my 300gal. It is dead silent.

Theron

I would agree with Theron,i utilize the same set up but in an external overflow box.It is silent and also provides a failsafe.

Yes go with Herons idea(rock2) That is the herby overflow the same way the 90 you picked up from me was plumbed.

Here is how it works one run is plumbed with the drain about half way up the overflow and on the other end is a gate valve as they work the best compared to a ball valve. Plumb it to the sump and call it done on that one. The second one has the pipe run almost to the top of the teeth and then just straight to the sump and it is done. Now the fun part turn on the return pump and watch what happens you adjust the gate valve so the water level sits just below the second drain.

This system is quiet and works great(rock2) I have had both the durso and the herby and will always go with the second over the first.

If they're 1.5" holes, you will only be able to fit a 3/4" B/H.

If it is 2 1.5" bulkheads, you have plenty of options but for quietness go with the above advice. Just keep one of the 1.5" drains as a backup. You can also use the main line to feed your skimmer and keep the other as a backup.

Yeah I had heard about the Herbie before. So I set it up like you guys said. I still gotta go get a ball valve for the one drain and glue it up. Thanks for the help guys I think I got it setup right and I will keep you updated on how it works. Later Ryan