Jump to content

SquidHC's 125g Peninsula!!!


Recommended Posts

When I started shopping for this tank I was looking to downgrade from my 2x2x4 125g. I was looking for a used 2x2x2 rimless glass cube. I had been shopping around with no real luck. Then I came across a 72"x18"x20" AGA on on here for $100. I thought it would make a great sump so I brought it home. It fit behind my couch perfectly and I decided then it was going to be my new peninsula display.



I also picked up a used AGA 55g to use as a sump. Since I had so many issues with my refugium on my old tank I decided to go without this time so a 55 was a good size for me. I purchased a sheet of 1/4" acrylic from home depot and cut to size. I split the tank in half with bubble baffles using silicone to secure them in place.


I picked up a Octopus 3000 recirculating skimmer from Coral Reef Pet Center. It barely fit, but it worked out. I also added two phosban reactors (1 for phosban and one for carbon).



I was trying to figure out what I was going to do for a stand. Being a finish carpenter I have all the tools I needed to get the project done. I went to my local lumber store and bought some kiln dried grade +++ 2x4's and two sheets of plywood.



To finish it off I busted out the ol sewing skills and purchased 6 yards of burlap. I made a slip to fit the stand. This actualy turned out extra nice because it allows a ton of airflow into the sump. I have the material sitting here to do the hood too, but Im just lazy.



For the hood, I just used some 1/2" plywood I had laying around. I used VHO setup with 4x 48" bulbs and a duel 250w MH retrofit kit. I also added six LED moonlights. Im running 2x 250w XM 20,000k, 2x VHO Super Atinics, 1x VHO daylight, 1x VHO 50/50. Who needs reflectors when theres white spray paint!



As far as plumbing goes, I kept it simple. The tank was not set up with overflows so I had to drill the tank myself. This is fairly easy to do because the larger the tank, the thicker the glass. Just don't drill the bottom cause its tempered. I borrowed the two bits I needed from Seahorse and went for it, thanks Isaac! Took me about two hours, a can of plumbers putty and a jug of anti freeze. For my overflow, I drilled a 1 3/4" hole near the bottom, and for my return I drilled a 1 1/4". I also used a piece of 4" i.d. ABS pipe for an overflow. I purchased two bulkheads, some flex hose, a check valve and gate valve for my return line, and a Octopus 3000 pump to use as a return. My only regret is not making the overflow larger. The way it is now there isn't enough room to add a durso standpipe so it occasionaly makes a gurgling sound. All in all works well and looks clean.



For circulation I added two Hydor Koralia 4's modded with the "Sure Flow" Maxi Jet magnets and large impellers. 4,000+ GPH flow in my display, not too shabby.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...