Opinions Needed - Selling livestock to move

oxx155

I would be very interested in everyones opinion on this

I have just purchased a new home (my first, getting out of my apartment finally), my family business is purchasing a new commercial building, and my parents (where the large tank currently resides) have decided to move closer to the new commercial building. We are all currently in Eugene and all of us are moving into Springfield.

I am taking the tank to my new home since its much bigger than theirs. I have 2100 square feet of new space to play with.

I don't feel its logical to move the tank with all of my inhabitants without losing quite a few during the process and I don't have anyone with a tank that could hold onto them for me.

So, I am thinking about selling all of my corals, fish, and invertebrates so the move can be done much easier.

How would I go about doing it?

I am not sure I want to take the time to list each individual and take pictures, and list prices, and and and etc.

I was thinking about having an open house one night so anyone can come see the tank as it currently is and open up everything for sale. I would set a specific time.

Or just be available over a weekend and do a first come first serve and offer everything from $10-$30 a pop.

Or are there other options?

I currently have several of the following (approximately) - Acropora varieties, Pink Birdsnest, Montipora varieties, Horn Coral, Cauliflower Coral, Frogspawn, Pagoda Cup, Mushrooms, Xenia, Zooanthids lots of colors, Green Star Polyps, Yellow Fiji Leather, Toadstool Leather, Branching Birdsnest, etc.

Also - Clams, Cleaner Shrimp, Coralbanded Shrimp, Sand Sifting Cucumbers, Tuxedo Urchin, Longspine Urchin, Scarlett Reef Hermits, BlueLegged Hermits, Cerith Snails, Turbo Snails, Nassarius Snails, Red Starfish, Fighting Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Rose Bulb Anenome, Bulb Anenome, etc.

Also - Purple Chromis, Green Reef Chromis, Pajama Cardinals, Anthias (male and female), Oscellaris Clownfish, Tomato Clownfish, Sailfin Algae Blennies, Mandarin Goby, Six Line Wrasses, Scotts Fairy Wrasse, Leopard Wrasse, Yellow Tangs, Desjardini Sailfin Tang, Blue Tang, Purple Tang, Yellow Longnose Butterfly, Coral Beauty Angel, Sand Sifting Gobies (diamond watchman), Goby/Shrimp combos, etc.

I am not 100% sure yet I will be selling off the livestock, but starting over isn't a horrible thought either. I would rather these animals live with someone else than accidentally die while I move them.

I will not be selling any equipment, the tank, sand, or liverock (unless an animal is attached to it). Selling will also give the opportunity to buff the tank of scratches and change out equipment.

What are your opinions?

Thanks

Well first off good luck! :D(naughty):D

Moving a tank sucks in my opinion!

I have never seen your tank or been able to meet you. But it sounds like you have a lot of livestock. So opening your home for a weekend would most likily be the easiest for you, other then having lots of people coming in and out all weekend. If you can set it up as esrly in advance as possible would help in bringing more people around.

If you have the 'open house' early enough you can then post what is left and take pictures of them. maybe then you will have only a few things left to hold over until after the move.

I wish you the best of luck

Why not just get a bunch of rubbermaid totes that will house your stuff while you move, then get the tank moved, and add all the stuff back?

Most corals can live a couple of days without light. They ship them in boxes without light, and many people have gone three days with lights out to get rid of cyanobacteria. Even if moving your tank takes three days, the corals should be fine.

I have moved my tank several times over the past two years (long story), but have not had any problems with anything dying (except the anemone that wanted to play in the powerhead). I monitored nitrate, nitrite, ammonia levels before, during, and after the move. There were no problems. Even the sand that had some anaerobic spots that smelled like rotten eggs (hydrogen sulfide) did not cause a problem. I just kept the skimmer attached to the tub with the sand and the sulfide was rendered harmless fairly quickly.

As long as your rocks are not out of water for very long there should be no cycle when you set the tank up again.

You just need to be very organized with enough places to put all the corals. Keep compatible corals together (euphyllia in one box, hydnophoria away from everything else, things with long sweeper tentacles in separate bags, etc.) Then half fill all the totes with water. Put the rock so that it is all submerged, either put a little sand in each tote, or have a dedicated tote for all the sand, net the fish and spread them out among the totes. When the tank is empty, it can be moved and set up in the new location. Replace sand rock and water, let it run for a few hours to make sure it is good (and the water clears). Then start replacing the livestock. Doing it like this, I have moved my 75g across the room in about 4 hours. I have also moved a 45g FOWLR setup from Ashland to Portland (overnight in a motel... Fish in a cooler with a powerhead and heater). It is amazing how delicate, yet resistant these animals are. You would probably have fewer losses than you think.

dsoz

I always love the process of starting over...

Though you have put alot of energy into this tank thus far and a move, especially of such short distance, should be managable. I have moved my inhabitants into and out of my various tanks a few times and each time I have had very little to no loss. Its definately alot of work, but IMO worth the effort. You could always just sell off what you are no longer going to want in your tank once it is set up again. Thus leaving you with your most enjoyed livestock, and some extra cash for the move and new livestock.

Garrett

Well first off good luck!

Moving a tank sucks in my opinion!

I have never seen your tank or been able to meet you. But it sounds like you have a lot of livestock. So opening your home for a weekend would most likily be the easiest for you, other then having lots of people coming in and out all weekend. If you can set it up as esrly in advance as possible would help in bringing more people around.

If you have the 'open house' early enough you can then post what is left and take pictures of them. maybe then you will have only a few things left to hold over until after the move.

I wish you the best of luck

Thank You

I do have a lot of livestock and its been fun. Many of the fish and inverts have great relationships and some fish have paired up, it would be a bummer to lose that, but if it was done once it can be done again.

It would definitely be a heavy duty job either way I go.

Why not just get a bunch of rubbermaid totes that will house your stuff while you move, then get the tank moved, and add all the stuff back?

Thats a lot of Rubbermaid Totes! Plus it seems I would need some other people with aquarium knowledge to keep everything alive and as of right now I only have myself (although I do have others to move the tank).

Doing it like this, I have moved my 75g across the room in about 4 hours

I appreciate your expertise and advice, I really do, but I would feel much better about moving a 75 gallon than a 450 gallon, LOL.

You could always just sell off what you are no longer going to want in your tank once it is set up again. Thus leaving you with your most enjoyed livestock, and some extra cash for the move and new livestock.

I was thinking about this, but then I go back to thinking about taking the opportunity to buff the tank of its scratches, resetting the rocks into a new design, getting a new skimmer going, and finally adding a chiller to the system. It seems like a lot of work that probably won't get done over one weekend.

In my mind nothing is irreplaceable. I have great relationships with my wholesalers and everything can be replaced, except for my Purple Chromis, which are really rare.

But, again things have grown out a little and I would be going back a year in the whole cycle of things. Maybe its not as tough as I think to move the livestock. I don't know.

I do have approximately 4 months to move the tank into its new location, so I have time to plan.

Keep the advice coming.

It's a hard decision to make!

Any chance you can set up a somewhat smaller tank for your fish and most of the livestock to move into at your new place, while you get your main system ready to go?

It seems a shame to sell all the livestock, unless you have enjoyed them, but are now ready to start over and go for something completely else.

well, dont move anything in a glass tank, it may break. if so, bad deal. use a trash can, buckets, ect.

if you damage a coral when you are packing them up, keep it seperate from the others. if it decides to rot, it will foul the water and kill the rest. with air, flow, and heat, your corals could move clear across the country with great success.

i intend to move next summer, and should be able to move to arizona with a 100% success. people are very successful with this. just dont be afraid to put damaged corals aside. they are in a risk bucket.

There are definitely some things I would like to get rid of and I am talking myself more and more into the idea of redoing some equipment and rebuffing the tank (which all will take time).

So, I think I have pretty much came to the decision of selling my livestock over a weekend, first come first serve basis. I will work on a list this week with pricing and post it on here with plenty of time for everyone.

I really think that is just the easiest option for me.

It will be interesting to try and catch all the fish!