Intro

Rob Allen

Hi, my name is Rob Allen. I have been in the aquatic hobby off and on my whole life, however seriously with freshwater for about 17 years and salt for the past 5. About 5 years ago my wife and I jumped into salt tanks, well not literally (laugh).

More information on our tanks can be found at http://www.allensaquariums.com. The only sad part is that we recently took down all these tanks as we are selling our house and moving to Portland, from Pittsburgh, PA. We have a condo ready for us in Portland, but waiting to sell our house before we move out. We purchased a Red Sea Max that will be our tank and although it is a drastic down sizing from what we had, we are looking forward to getting it setup.

I am currently on the BOD for Pittsburgh Marine Aquarium Society (PMASI) and own/maintain a couple aquatic sites.

We will be going to MACNA, in Atlanta, for Thursday night and Friday. Anyone else going?

Looking forward to meeting all of you,

Rob

Welcome. I am glad that you found us :)

I hope that the quality of the fish stores around here surprise you (in a good way). Everyone that comes and visits here says that the fish stores in Portland are some of the best in the country (after So.Cal.).

What area of Portland are you moving to? What prompted the move? Make sure that you can make some of the PNWMAS meetings so we can meet you.

When you do get your tank set up here, give me a PM and I can hook you up with chaeto, and a few frags to get your tank going. Xenia (3 types), some zoas, maybe some leater or kenya tree.

dsoz

Welcome. I am glad that you found us :)

I hope that the quality of the fish stores around here surprise you (in a good way). Everyone that comes and visits here says that the fish stores in Portland are some of the best in the country (after So.Cal.).

What area of Portland are you moving to? What prompted the move? Make sure that you can make some of the PNWMAS meetings so we can meet you.

When you do get your tank set up here, give me a PM and I can hook you up with chaeto, and a few frags to get your tank going. Xenia (3 types), some zoas, maybe some leater or kenya tree.

dsoz

Very nice, thank you. I have travelled out to Portland quite a bit over the past two years. We really like the area and have heard a lot of good about the LFS' in the area. Looking forward to it.

We are moving to a condo on the Willamette River just northwest of the Pearl District. I work with a startup company in Pittsburgh that was acquired by an insurance company based in Portland -- most can probably guess who that is. My postition is being moved to Portland, hence the reason for moving. We will definitely be coming to some meetings.

Thank you very much for the offers of chaeto and frags. We typically start our tanks slow, but will be in touch when the time comes. A good friend of mine is holding a number of frags for me and plans on shipping them out once we are ready. Another friend is holding our rock, which is not being held under light, so I might be looking for a couple small pieces of LR. Any suggestions where there is a good supply of Fiji LR will be helpful. Thanks again.

Welcome!!

I've always found a good source for live rock to be Waves Marine in Lake Oswego, which is about 11 miles south of the city on I-5. His website can be found at www.wavesreef.com. He generally has a wide assortment of really nice stuff, and new shipments are frequent. Another good source would be Upscales Fish and Reptiles, also very close to Waves Marine, just 2 exits further south. Both are sponsors of this club.

There are 4-5 others shops in the area worth checking out, info for them can be found in the sponsor links of this site.

Hope to help!

Sam

Welcome!!

I've always found a good source for live rock to be Waves Marine in Lake Oswego, which is about 11 miles south of the city on I-5. His website can be found at www.wavesreef.com. He generally has a wide assortment of really nice stuff, and new shipments are frequent. Another good source would be Upscales Fish and Reptiles, also very close to Waves Marine, just 2 exits further south. Both are sponsors of this club.

There are 4-5 others shops in the area worth checking out, info for them can be found in the sponsor links of this site.

Hope to help!

Sam

Excellent, thanks for the info.

Welcome to the web site! What is the name of the Condos? Am working on a few in that area now. Are they done now or still under construction? I know that area has just exploded in the past few years. You will love Portland when it comes to the LFS there are so many to pic from.

Welcome to the PNWMAS Forums, Rob! Looking forward to meeting you when you get here.

Looks like a great lineup of speakers at MACNA. Hey... when you see Bob Fenner, make sure he's using the PNWMAS gear we gave him!:D

Yes, looking forward to what I am going to be able to hear and getting together with some friends. I will make sure Bob has some PNWMAS garb with him.

Welcome to the web site! What is the name of the Condos? Am working on a few in that area now. Are they done now or still under construction? I know that area has just exploded in the past few years. You will love Portland when it comes to the LFS there are so many to pic from.

Pacifica Towers. They are done, but they are still working on some townhouses and more will be coming, I am sure...

Hello! By the way once you get here be sure to sign up for evites. This way you will not miss out on all the fun.

By the way I would trade my shovel in for a umbrella any day!!!! (laugh)

Thanks, will do.

Welcome!!

Hope to help!

Sam

Thanks Sam!

Rob let me know if we can do anything to help on your transition. Moving tanks like you are can be very tough. If there is anything we can do give us a shout!!

Looking forward to meeting yet another face of someone who needs to "Feed Your Obsession"!

Pacifica Towers. They are done, but they are still working on some townhouses and more will be coming, I am sure...

Oh yeah there are more coming soon or later. Have been working down there for the last year and a half. Shoot I have this big aluminum chunk of scrap in my shop now that is going to be your water feature some day(laugh)