NO tube lit aquarium

biomekanic

Hey all,

I need suggestions for corals that can be put in a 20L aquarium, lit with 2 NO flourescent tubes.

And no, this is not a joke. Mostly likely 1 actinic and one 20,000K ish light.

The tank would be a species tank for an O. havenensis mantis - bright lights are a no go for this and similar species, they cause shell rot.

I was thinking mushrooms. Due to water quality issues non-photosynthetic corals aren't an option.

Even if the answer is "nothing", input is appreciated. :)

I think some mushrooms should do OK. I started out with NO T8 lights in my tank (what it came with) and was able to keep some shrooms and a couple of other softies in there while I was waiting to upgrade the lights. I didn't see a lot of growth, but they survived just fine. Also, there are gorgonians that do well in very low light conditions. I can frag some shroom and leather pieces for you that should be fine, if you're interested. Prices will be very reasonable.

15 years ago I had a 45g with 4 T12 NO bulbs. I was able to keep mushrooms and GSP. Zoas were unknown to me back then, so I don't know if they would survive.

I also know what will NOT live under that little light... Anemones, goniopora, fungia, and anything else that I wanted. :( I was so young and dumb for putting things in that tank. BTW, Aptasia (sold as "anemone rock") thrived, and so did grape calurpa, hair algae, and bristle worms (then considered a pest).

dsoz

you could also do the non-photosynthetic corals' date=' sun corals, maybe a small dendrophyllia, or gorgonian[/quote']

Due to water quality issues non-photosynthetic corals aren't an option.

(whistle)

O. havenensis and similar mantis shrimp live down below the 10m mark, in open areas. Water quality issues that wouldn't phase an N. wennerae or other 'higher up the tideline' mantis are lethal to them. They need nearly nitrate free water from what I've been able to gather, plus really stable conditions. Think of them as the delicate LPS of the mantis world. :D

If there wasn't the worry about food decay spiking the quality, it would be a good idea.