The worst coral prices at your LFS

jm82792

Okay I'd like to see what is outrageous prices are at your local LFS,

for those who are unlucky enough to not be close enough to a good LFS(like me :) )

So here's the 4 categories:

LPS per head $60 (for torch,hammer or frogspawn)

GSP $30 (small frag)

$50 for a single shroom (striped like that makes a difference!))

$10 for a stupid blue devil damsel

So beat those prices !

The only rule is your price is for a single(or double)shroom,

a blue damsel,common head of LPS, or a smaller frag of GSP.

The dude is a price gouger because he is the only LFS within 2 hours.

Fell free to share your other horrible prices :P

$100 for a 3" x 3" colony of "Rare Green Star Polyps".

Rare huh?

Of course, they're also selling a G. viridis mantis shrimp for $30 - it works out to about $1 a millimeter for the mantis ( and no, I am not kidding ). I've gotten these as freebies from stores before, they're hitchhikers.

Okay I thought it would be fun to see how much of a ripoff your LFS is.(I know many of you have a good sponsor LFS)

Please do not mention any LFS names in this thread about "rip-offs". This would not be fun for the club. :(

Sorry about that I was putting out the wrong message.

I was primarilly talking about the people who are unfortunate(well sorta)

enough to not have a decent LFS and are stuck with say a wallmart equivalent(not price wise) of a LFS.

i got one here in vegas that is kinda fun to rip apart.

3 green shrooms on a small rock = $75.00 (nutty)

4 BROWN duncans (small) = $225.00 (whistle)

GSP frag (1"x1") 50-75 bux. depends which employee you ask. lol (nutty)

condy anenome = $75.00 (laugh)

brown button polyps ( they call them chocolate desires! LOL) $85.00 (flame)

and the list goes on and on..... dont even get me started on fish and inverts. ($6 for a nassarius snail? lol)

oh yah, and LR thats plain ol' fiji boulder lumps with no corraline or shapes = $9-$11 a pound......hahaha (nutty)(enforcer)(scratch)(sad)

and this is WITH the wholesalers 6 hours away in L.A........Can anyone say PRICE GOUGING? lol (laugh)(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)

Sorry about that I was putting out the wrong message.

I was primarilly talking about the people who are unfortunate(well sorta)

enough to not have a decent LFS and are stuck with say a wallmart equivalent(not price wise) of a LFS.

I understand. I'm just saying we need to be careful in threads like this. Thanks. (whistle)

we jsut cant name names about stores. IF however someone reading these posts about thier particular stores' prices and takes offense......well then maybe they should look at thier suppliers for thier higher costs than thier competitors? I still think several LFS in a common area (portland,eugene, etc.) should be able to work together to gain more leverage from the suppliers and get lower prices for thier customers, more instock items for customers, and probably higher profit margins for themselves. just a nutty little idea. I know 3 LFS here in vegas go together for tanks from an LA manufacturer to save themselves shipping costs.

Yeah' date=' no complaints here -- quite the opposite, the only thing that comes to mind are the bargains I've found.[/quote']

Competition, competition, competition. Portland has some of the most aquarium shops, per capita in the country.

I don't remember what the qualifications were to be considered an "aquarium shops" in the study, but I am sure it is still valid.

Also want to thank everyone for not mentioning names on the, less then desireable deals, they have seen.

Yeah' date=' no complaints here -- quite the opposite, the only thing that comes to mind are the bargains I've found.[/quote']

I agree with you Andy! Ive never bought anything online because I really dont feel the need. I will one of these days when I want "THAT _____"

Oh, there is one shop near me that is NOT a LFS, but a "pet store" that sells everything from kittens to coral. They have a GSP rock for $59. They want $49 for two heads of sad looking hammer, and $100 for this gorgeous FS that I want soooo bad, but am not willing to pay the $100 (I could see $70 or $80, but not a C-note). It is usually a quick stroll through that store before I go to one of the good LFSs and get something for a good price. :)

dsoz

As stated before I feel lucky to have the quality stores we have(rock2) Also the knowledge they have is nice to. I have yet to feel the cold shoulder that I have seen other people post about on other boards when they were in town(scratch) So all I can say is LFS keep up the good work it is much apreciated(clap)

Competition, competition, competition. Portland has some of the most aquarium shops, per capita in the country.

I don't remember what the qualifications were to be considered an "aquarium shops" in the study, but I am sure it is still valid.

Also want to thank everyone for not mentioning names on the, less then desireable deals, they have seen.

Portland had an early start! We kept Fungia corals at the wholesale distributor 30 years ago, but not much was really known about adequate lighting. Portland had some of the first commercially available tank-raised Amphiprion ocellaris clowns bred & raised by Martin A. Moe, Jr. in the early 1970's. There were 2 stores featuring the "mini-reef" setups in 1987. One of the first stores to frag and grow out corals was here too. The Seattle area was also starting with Western Marine Conferences by 1996, featuring speakers such as Bruce Carlson, Dana Riddle, and Steve Tyree.

This is really amazing, as no really reliable synthetic seawater mixes were available until the late 1960s/early 1970's! Talk about a fast growing hobby!

Can we pull the plug on this thread ? I am getting the idea that more harm then good is coming of this.

I will not have our sponsor's read this and not understand what ever the meaning of this is. I do not want to do it, but this thread will be closed it there is any futher post on this thread.

I believe that a mod may do something about this, and it not I will attenpt to remove it myself.

Thank you for your understanding, and please support our sponsor's, we would have very little without them.

Kevin

Can we pull the plug on this thread ? I am getting the idea that more harm then good is coming of this.

I will not have our sponsor's read this and not understand what ever the meaning of this is. I do not want to do it, but this thread will be closed it there is any futher post on this thread.

I believe that a mod may do something about this, and it not I will attenpt to remove it myself.

Thank you for your understanding, and please support our sponsor's, we would have very little without them.

Kevin

What? Are you serious? No one is bashing a sponsor.(flame)(scratch):mad: This is eerily familiar...I think I raised my concern about *****footing around things a few months back. How unfortunate.

Dosnt bother me I think this type of thread is fine as long as no names are used every one here are adults its good to here the bad stuff keeps people informed of what is a fair price and whats not just like my site if you dont like my price dont buy it but I know the biggest B$%%tch with me is shipping lol.

I haven't seen any sponsor bashing, just some "What are thinking?" and head shaking.

I have seen something much more like sponsor bashing in the vendor experience thread.

As for crazy prices... I saw a store selling aiptasia covered "anenome rock" for $20 a pound. Mind you, this was about 7 years ago. Not sure they're still selling marine stuff, but I was boggled when I saw it. When I told the clerk that the anenomes are pests, she just shrugged and went back to reading the latest issue of People.

So far obviously the examples of over priced corals are rediculous, but I cant even count the number of times people ask about a coral and are shocked at the price, only for the next guy to walk in and buy it.

Customer walks in sees crazy micromussa

customer asks "thats a nice coral, how much is it?"

I reply, "how much do you want? the whole thing or just a frag?"

Customer replys "oh I want the whole thing"

I reply "Ok well its $250 for those 30 polyps"

Customer looks at me like Im totally nuts

Next customer walks in, and buys 5 polyps for $100

Some people really dont know what they are looking at, others simply dont know what people are willing to pay for. Its just like any business of supply and demand, if a store can get XX for something, they may as well try. We just happen to be in a market that doesnt allow that because we have countless stores to compare prices too.

Its the same thing as someone paying rediculous prices for a "purple bonsi tree eater titan iranman zoa" I look at it and go "you paid what for that?" I dont buy corals based on rediculous names I buy them because I like them.

(granted I sometimes get those in, simply because I run a business and people are willing to pay retarded prices for them!)