The worst coral prices at your LFS

jm82792

Locally in Lake Oswego off of the Carmen drive exit, I paid $25 for this bright yellow montipora frag with purplish polyps. I was upset cause it was ONLY 3"x2" or so. Lol. jk jk jk. By the way Joel, that "frag" is almost double the size already, completely encrusting and growing outward. Color has improved under my T5's as well. It's really sweet looking. I'll have to take a picture. How's the rest of the colony that you took home doing?

We are lucky to have stores like we do guys. Support them!

As a Board Member I see the potential this thread had, and have much respect for the forum members for keeping it civil. Thank-you, to all you civilized (yes that is proper usage of the word (laugh)) discussion.

As a sponser, I am thankful that people kept it nameless. We could have had a similar discussion on how much people expect for their equipment on Craigslist (nutty), and it would have probably gotten out of hand. The other sponsers who have chimed in seem to agree. I really appriciated Joel's perspective.

As a hobbiest I found it amusing, and somewhat humerous.

i went to a LFS and asked about some super GSP and they said how much do i want to pay, i said $20 for a frag? he laughed and said try $300. i said i would rather go online and buy 30 frags from different places and get a variety. i then posted on craigslist and found the person that gave him that GSP and he gave me a piece.

Customer walks in sees crazy micromussa

customer asks "thats a nice coral, how much is it?"

I reply, "how much do you want? the whole thing or just a frag?"

Customer replys "oh I want the whole thing"

I reply "Ok well its $250 for those 30 polyps"

Customer looks at me like Im totally nuts

Next customer walks in, and buys 5 polyps for $100

And I was stoked on the deal when I bought those 5 polyps, but was there when the dude complained about the price. My 5 polyps turned into 9 so who got the deal now?

Though the worst price I have seen was "Blood red Blasto's" $400 a polyp a 5 polyp frag. 2 grand for a frag of blasto's. LFS 5 miles away had the same frag for $90. That was down in Cali. I was more suprised a couple weeks later when it had sold. I guess if you can get it, then get it.

Same store was selling erectus seahorses for $250 a seahorse. They were calling them sunkissed (A play on ocean riders sunburst). They paid $15 a piece for them, but they sold out of them.

JME

I guess if you can get it, then get it.

Yep, the free market at work. :)

Just because I see crazy high price, doesn't mean I have to buy it there. I'll happily support an LFS ( or in some cases, such as some trips to Portland a few years ago, some not so LFSs ) if I think the price is reasonable, or even slightly unreasonable. If it's crazy, I'll just vote with my feet.

In my experience, loyal lfs customers get better prices because of repeated business. When you have established a good relationship with a lfs owner it can make all the difference. Of course, they have a bottom line, but they will usually do what they can to keep your business. If you pound them down with phrases like" Well, I can get that for ----- dollars on the internet that is NOT establishing a relationship. Talking to them and listening to their advice(not always taking it btw) and discussing the hobby of reef or fishkeeping usually has good results.

In my experience' date=' loyal lfs customers get better prices because of repeated business. When you have established a good relationship with a lfs owner it can make all the difference. Of course, they have a bottom line, but they will usually do what they can to keep your business. If you pound them down with phrases like" Well, I can get that for ----- dollars on the internet that is NOT establishing a relationship. Talking to them and listening to their advice(not always taking it btw) and discussing the hobby of reef or fishkeeping usually has good results.[/quote']

i agree. i have a good relationship with most of the LFS, but when the owner of store "X" said it was $300 for a frag of GSP, i felt insulted. i always get a cold feeling from this LFS, and he actually embarrassed me by making a big deal about me doing water changes bi-weekly. the $300 frag was a week later, i have him the benefit of the doubt on the water change thing, then he told me $300, i just felt that bringing up the internet was appropriate in that situation.

Dang!!!! I find it hard to shell out more than $50 for any one coral, let alone $3000!!!!

Although he does state that you can frag that sucker up into 1/2 by 3/4 inch sections. They are only worth $250 each... Enough to make your money back if you can find anyone that wants to shell out that kind of dough for a small frag.

Because it's a discussion board' date=' for talking about things.[/quote'] I have been reading the posts in this thread and can now see how it can benefit some new hobbiests. When I posted that 2 posts up I had only read the first page and it looked like it was heading toward a flame fest:eek: I can remember seeing some rediculas priced corals online and local. If I want the coral sometimes I will offer a lower price just to see the reaction on their face. This will fluster some people pretty quick....but is amusing and sometimes I go home with the coral. Sometimes I see a expensive coral that appears overpriced until I think about it. It may be a very rare coral and some people are really serious about their collection.

Lately I have been feeling the economy pinching my aquarium budget and have not been spending that much. Also have lost some enthusiasm for the hobby somewhat, but I still love my fish and sea creatures :p

Jay