jsw 24x24x18

jsw

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JSW: It looks like you have a gate valve on your main overflow pipe....are you using the "herbie" style overflow? How do you like it? Was difficult to "tune"? How is its stability?

Yes. I have an Ehiem 1260 as a return pump and 1.5" pvc on the overflows. With both pipes wide open it's loud. With it tuned it's silent. The combination of no air in the pipe and discharging underwater is great.

Tuning it was a piece of cake. I haven't touched it since I set it up a couple weeks ago, so I'd say it's stable. The backup overflow is a good distance above the sump water line, so it's significantly louder if the backup kicks in. I've only heard that when I was testing.

I highly recommend it if you have a primary and backup overflow that can each handle the flow on their own.

• 4 weeks later...

Upgraded the skimmer to SWC Xtreme 160. You can see the trusty H&S in the background. Hope this guy holds up to it. We'll see...

I also posted something in the classified to try and get a bigger than a frag Oregon blue tort for this tank. I want to have a few large SPS colonies in this tank on the main rock with some encrusting corals between. For the front right rock I'm going to have a few types of encrusting montis (sunset, setosa, undata) and try to get a superman digitata to stick up out of them. I have the sunset, setosa and undata so I'm on the hunt for a superman digitata as well.

nuJiX.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just got some new powerheads in the tank tonight: two Tunze 6055 with a 7096 controller. Only had an hour or so to play around with them before the lights went out, but from what I can tell they're going to work out great.

So here's what I have running on this tank:

- 400w Reeflux 12k in Lumenarc mini on a Coralvue ballast

- Two Tunze 6055 powerheads with 7096 controller

- Eheim 1260 return pump

- SWC Xtreme 160 skimmer

- Neptune ACJr with DC8 + temp and pH probe

- Tunze osmolator ATO

- Visi-Therm stealth 150w heater

- Two BRS Drews dosing pumps

I have a bunch of SPS in the tank now and will get some pics up soon. Going through a bit of a new tank cyano bloom currently.

very nice! i think i might have to come visit after all........hows the tort and other goodies doing?

It's all doing good! Most have started laying down a base on the plugs I put them on. Good PE on most. The cranberry milli lost a bit of color in the move, but it looks like it's starting to color back up now

I picked up an ORA purple plasma and red planet. They're pretty small right now, but I should be able to frag them a bit once the grow some -- probably this summer. I had the chance to get an ORA german blue and pearlberry with the other two and I'm kicking myself for not getting those as well, so I'm on the hunt for those again. After that I won't have any more room!

The stand was very reasonably priced -- don't remember what I paid a couple years ago. Not sure if spectra is still building them, but contact him for a quote if you're interested. I designed it with sketchup and he built it just how I wanted. Envision built the tank to my specs as well. All said and done I know it came in under $1000.

Pics soon... I'm working on getting some good ones. My rock is mostly speckled with frags that aren't all that cool to look at yet. In the meantime, here's a couple of montis I picked up at Westside. You can also see frags of undata, sunset, bird of paradise, ponape and really light rose millepora that's trying to color back up. The sunset montipora is pretty light too. Anyone have one come back from comparable paleness? I bought it that way...

nyKQq.jpg

9itT4.jpg

The stand was very reasonably priced -- don't remember what I paid a couple years ago. Not sure if spectra is still building them' date=' but contact him for a quote if you're interested. I designed it with sketchup and he built it just how I wanted. [/quote']

Spectra is still building stands! He just finished mine a couple weeks ago. I too designed mine in scetchup, and he built it. Its an amazing stand! Very reasonable in price too!

This tank now has a ridiculously oversized skimmer: an H&S A200-1260! A buddy of mine had it from his old tank and I figured why not hook it up. Cleaned it up and got it running tonight. This is the second H&S I've had and I love these skimmers.

Here's the ora pearlberry, hawkins and spongodes I got with the member group buy. You can also see the jeremy montipora in the background. I got an ora peach digitata too, but don't have a pic right now. The spongodes was pretty beat up... surprised me a bit.

You can see the cyano I'm dealing with. Got a new RODI unit, nix'd the vodka and upgraded the skimmer, so hopefully it'll back off soon. We'll see.

YXuNb.jpg

8207f.jpg

aLxvp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
jsw' date=' that looks more like dino instead of cyano[/quote']

Could be... There hasn't been any real snotty stringy stuff though. But I've never dealt with dinos before.

There's all kinds of funk going on in the tank. But it looks like a caddy compared to what it was. I think the rock really had some nasties in it and I didn't let it cook long enough.

I'm not too worried because of how much better things are getting by the day.