jsw 24x24x18

jsw

Just curious why your not useing lock line on the returns? I was looking at your powerhead shot and noticed them missing:)

There is ~600GPH going out the two 3/4" returns so it's a pretty gentle flow. It creates some nice surface agitation without directing the water. I never really considered the returns as something to create flow for the corals in the tank, so I've never really bothered with directing it. I'm not a big loc-line fan either...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'll tell you what, this tank has been a PITA to get humming along smoothly! I've had every problem in the book.

Lost two fish jumping through the cracks -- even with a cover. A sharknose goby pair that wasn't a pair. A firefish pair that wasn't a pair. A blenny that was toasted by a pistol shrimp. The goby that paired with the pistol was the one that jumped, so I'm contemplating removing this beastly pistol now -- which I was hesitant on in the first place. A case of ich that all the fish made it through luckily. Holy crap... and that's not even the start of it.

Coral pests! Argghhh. I had to dose interceptor a month or so ago. Then I discovered I had AEFW so I've been doing weekly revive dips of ALL corals. To top that off I found monti nudis on that beautiful purple digi, so that guys been chopped up.

Parts of my sand have clumped/cemented a bit while I had a bout of overdosing. This is really frustrating because that happened in my last tank too. I think I may be dosing just a tad over saturation point. I've been maintaining alk=7.5dkh ca=410 mag=1300. Never spiked above that but I have a white ca build-up on my heater in the sump. That was the first indication and the hardened sand in one corner is the second. I've dropped back the dosing pumps to the point where I'm dropping params ever so slowly and then creeping it back up just enough to maintain levels without overdoing it. The strange thing is that I thought if I was overdosing my params would continue upward. I thought I was pretty meticulous about getting it dialed in but I did something wrong.

My previous tank never had a pest in it. If I'm not a lesson in why you should quarantine I don't know what is. I suppose it's a good lesson for me to learn now though -- while the tank is still young. I was naive to think things would be smooth sailing and pest free like my previous tank -- I let my guard down.

But I still have high hopes for this tank. I'm going to battle these pests. Get this dosing really dialed. Replace the clumped sand. And build a better mesh cover.

Soon, I hope, I'll just be able to sit back and enjoy.