Moving o Fiji in a couple weeks and wonder if this will work

huskerduck

As the topic says, Im moving to Fiji in three weeks, I plan on building about as big of tank as possible in My home. My home is very close to the beach and Im wondering if you could pump the ocean water into the tank and have it overflow back into the ocean. The water there is pristine and this should save me the trouble of all this stuff we do trying to simulate actual ocean water.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows Tank builders that build Big, Massive tanks and ship them in pieces to be installed elsewhere?

I will also be selling a 155 Bowfront and all inhabitants (if shipping to Fiji is outrageous as I gather it is) as soon as I can Find my Digital Camera to take pics. I am Near Dallas Oregon, Pm me if anyone is interested, I have alot of unique stuff and some of the Stonies need a new home imeadiatly, some free to good home since they are seeming not so well from wifes care while gone over last 6 months

Back in the 60's and early 70's my dad lived in Guam and Hawaii. He used to go snorkling and collect what ever he could catch with his net. He filled up his tank with seawater that he brought home in buckets. When ever he needed a water change, he just got a couple of buckets of water out of the tank, and dumped them down the "toilet". (I don't know for sure where he put it, I am guessing.) Then walked the 3 blocks to the beach and filled the buckets up and brought them home to fill the tank.

be careful of parasites that you could introduce from the sea water.

I know that in Newport at both the Marine Science Center (OSU) and at the Oregon Coast Aquarium, they use natural sea water that they pump out of the bay. It goes through a massive filter before it is used in their tanks. I worked with a guy at the MSC that had sea-water "on tap" and would just have it drip into whatever tank he was using and it would go "down the drain" to the release point into the bay.

It must be rough to be able to move to a place like Fiji. What is it that you have been/will be doing there?

dsoz

Back in the 60's and early 70's my dad lived in Guam and Hawaii. He used to go snorkling and collect what ever he could catch with his net. He filled up his tank with seawater that he brought home in buckets. When ever he needed a water change' date=' he just got a couple of buckets of water out of the tank, and dumped them down the "toilet". (I don't know for sure where he put it, I am guessing.) Then walked the 3 blocks to the beach and filled the buckets up and brought them home to fill the tank.[/quote']Yeah I thought of the traditional setup, closed loop, no need for anything but an over flow and once a day introduce a water change. Perfection would be a dosing pump that could run slow enough to do like 100 gallons a day or something like that.

be careful of parasites that you could introduce from the sea water.

I know that in Newport at both the Marine Science Center (OSU) and at the Oregon Coast Aquarium, they use natural sea water that they pump out of the bay. It goes through a massive filter before it is used in their tanks. I worked with a guy at the MSC that had sea-water "on tap" and would just have it drip into whatever tank he was using and it would go "down the drain" to the release point into the bay.

It must be rough to be able to move to a place like Fiji. What is it that you have been/will be doing there?

dsoz

The filter would be the hardest part, I dont want to kill stuff by having it sucked up against a Filter, The parasite thing is probably un avoidable since my stock will be coming from the same place as my water, it may have to be a reversal method, most dip coming into their tanks, I may have to dip going back to the ocean.

The guy I work for bought 4 islands over there, I do all his design/build

There are some other facilities that pump water directly in from the ocean and then back out to it.

My "online friend" David Warland ran a seahorse breeding facilites in Southern Australia for years this way. He UV'd the water before it came in, and then again on it's way out. He still used sumps and alrge protein skimmers.

You need to treat the water on the way in for your protection, on the way out for natures protection. Many of the bacterias we put into our system are not native to the region. Introducing a steady stream of bacteria to an eo system could be very bad. Think of what small pox did to the Indians. Very bad.

There is a guy on Long island who continually pumps water into his tanks as well but all of his food for the displays comes from nets in the harbor.

HTH.

Where do we find the sign up list for visiting reservations? After our time in Vanuatu I cant even imagine living in a place in the south pacific. I know Fiji is alot more "western" than Vanuatu, so hopefully you will be able to get the things you need easily.

I would love to move to Vanuatu, but leaving family etc makes it tough. And when finding things as simple as toilet paper etc at times can be a challenge, it makes simpler, yet more complicated.

SO anyway,,, I would guess if you used some heavy UV, and did just like a 10% change per day, it would work out wonderful. You might google "Turtle Island" I understand they have a system that flushes to the sea.

Maybe Finding Nemo could be true after all?

Where do we find the sign up list for visiting reservations? After our time in Vanuatu I cant even imagine living in a place in the south pacific. I know Fiji is alot more "western" than Vanuatu, so hopefully you will be able to get the things you need easily.

I would love to move to Vanuatu, but leaving family etc makes it tough. And when finding things as simple as toilet paper etc at times can be a challenge, it makes simpler, yet more complicated.

SO anyway,,, I would guess if you used some heavy UV, and did just like a 10% change per day, it would work out wonderful. You might google "Turtle Island" I understand they have a system that flushes to the sea.

Maybe Finding Nemo could be true after all?

Fiji is still pretty uncivilized outside of the big citys which there are only a couple. Their political system is also a little uneasy these days, the guy that owns the biggest gun wins.

The guy I work for enjoys Luxury so supplies will be plentiful. Im more worried about Box Jelly stings and eating the wrong fish, considering thats the main diet. Knowing him, we will have decent supplies.

Whoa' date=' wonder if that's Taco Bell's secret ingredient? It'd explain a lot...[/quote']

ciguatera is actually the real problem down in the south pacific. Its like mercury where it builds up in preditory fish. So the people of the south pacific only eat vegitarian fish. We actually didnt eat alot of fish in Vanuatu, but when we did it was rabbitfish :0

If you get ciguatera poisoning one of the effects is it switches your sensation of hot and cold. (to some degree). Imagine getting into a cold shower and have it feel warm. weird....