Battery Powered Leak Detector - In Sump

Well, we all hope that we'll never have to post a topic here :)   

Situation:

When  I arrived home from work this afternoon, I noticed corals were pissed and retreated. The water looked a bit cloudy. Opening my cabinet, I discovered my skimmer was going nuts with foam everywhere.  A check of my ORP showed a sudden drop at 8am today. Then, I discovered a battery powered (3 AAA's) leak detector that was velcroed to the wall of the sump area had fallen into the sump. 

Completed so far:

* Fortunately I had 30+ gallons of fresh saltwater - so I completed a large water change.
* Fine tuned the Skimmer and emptied.
* Added more carbon
* Replaced GFO with fresh media
* Said a small, ok big, prayer.

Any additional ideas?

20240515_183037.jpg

20240515_182528.jpg

20240515_182146.jpg

20240515_182928.jpg

20240515_182920.jpg

20240515_182931.jpg

20240515_182208.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Yikes!  A good takeaway from this is to never rely on velcro or adhesives for anything that could fall into a sump.  Many of us have used net mesh tops above our tanks to keep fish from jumping, but never considered net tops on the sump to prevent things from falling in...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having recently experienced a metal event, I would suggest something like cuprisorb.  I believe Travis sells it and is probably your closest place to hit before closing.

Sorry to hear about your fun.

I recently found the spindle on an MP60 wet side had worn to about half thickness (and was noisy).   I run ICP-MS tests regularly, and seen no weird metal spikes.  But have been seeing some STN.

My approach, besides maintenance and checking, is New Carbon.   More New Carbon.  

Added a bag of cuprisorb this morning. thx!  Overall appearance and activity of corals hasn't changed better or worse.  I did another 30 gallon water change last night. Skimmer doesn't seem too upset anymore.