DIY Ecotech MP40/60 backup power, to survive an 11hr power outage

You've all seen my saga of surviving last weeks power outage at my house.   

I am going to bring my DIY solution to Sunday's PNWMAS Club meeting.   But thought everyone would like to see the details here first.   

I've made this as specific to my solution, but also called out things you can change.

** Key Enabler - I had the battery, sitting on my workbench, with Battery Tender/Charger already attached.  So I had a fully charged battery, when the power went out.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a good club meeting yesterday.   Small enough we could all have a good conversation of how the storm affected each one of us, and what was needed for each persons situation.

A few people talked about having multiple independent, smaller, tanks - and obviously my MP solution wouldn't work for them.  Some people used battery powered air pumps and air stones, in order to generate circulation.   @Eatfrenchfries turned me on to small USB based air pumps as possible solutions.    Thought I'd pass along what I found.

Found easily on Amazon for $10 each.  Found on Ebay for down to $6 each - and maybe even $6 for two.   In order to power for a Long time, all you'd need is the deep cycle battery, the charger/tender, and a 12v to USB port converter.  Found one on Amazon too.

image.thumb.png.c2dd054210e5dc874a8057ab

image.png.eca700c311a3e504535a8d954b71ea

• Like 2

Here is the extension cable for MP10/MP40 if it helps consolidate all of the drivers into one place for easier emergency power.  The company making them is Aqua Life Studio and they have a good video on how to make the connection.  This is also helpful for wire routing through control boards as the drivers are attached on the smaller models.  You can also find them on Amazon, but I prefer to shop with the builder whenever possible :)

Thanks again for the demo, I have been wanting to build a larger battery bank for emergencies and a visual walkthrough of the project is helpful.

image.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Krux said:

The company making them is Aqua Life Studio and they have a good video on how to make the connection. 

You can also find them on Amazon, but I prefer to shop with the builder whenever possible :)

Thanks again for the demo, I have been wanting to build a larger battery bank for emergencies and a visual walkthrough of the project is helpful.

Would you mind publishing the direct link to the builder, so people can get their directly/easier.  (to support the builder)

And you're welcome for the demo.  Hardest part was lugging that battery.  I'd forgotten how heavy it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm finally posting my setup to this thread. This is not as economical as Dave's setup. I'm using the Reefboxx automatic switch ($100) along with a LiFePO4 battery ($60 for 20ah or $130 for 50ah) a fancy smart (trickle) charger ($85) and a 12V to 24V voltage booster + cables ($30).

My return pump is 24V and most of the economical batteries are 12V. You can use a booster to get 24V or you can set up two identical 12V batteries in series to get 24V. I wanted a single battery in the space.

This system will run my return pump if the power goes out while I am away. The automatic switch detects the outage and keeps everything running on battery, and the trickle charger keeps the battery charged and maintained. This charger has a cool bluetooth function that allows me to check the status via an app on my phone. I do need to get a bigger battery as the 20ah battery isn't big enough.

The 20ah battery should run my 65W pump (at full power) for 7.4 hours while a 50ah battery should run it for 18.5 hrs, and a 100ah battery should run it for 37 hrs. Of course, if I was home, I would turn the pump speed down in order to get more run time.

Link to Reefboxx + booster + cables package

https://puddleaquatics.com/collections/reef-boxx/products/the-reefboxx-package-12-24-volt

Link to smart charger

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TLCT7X7?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Link to 50ah battery

https://www.eco-worthy.com/products/lifepo4-12v-50ah-lithium-iron-phosphate-battery?currency=USD&variant=42491122712825&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=ac7b7d784bf0&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA29auBhBxEiwAnKcSqj3ahabzickXKuoFmZG14epdVLJbitn_hHzO_2obxG8BkXXlKZLI8hoCyqAQAvD_BwE

PXL_20240220_035611818.jpgPXL_20240218_055847907(1).jpgPXL_20240218_060157826(1).jpg

reefboxx.jpeg

13 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

Hi All,

I'm finally posting my setup to this thread. This is not as economical as Dave's setup. I'm using the Reefboxx automatic switch ($100) along with a LiFePO4 battery ($60 for 20ah or $130 for 50ah) a fancy smart (trickle) charger ($85) and a 12V to 24V voltage booster + cables ($30).

My return pump is 24V and most of the economical batteries are 12V. You can use a booster to get 24V or you can set up two identical 12V batteries in series to get 24V. I wanted a single battery in the space.

I love this hobby.   There are awesome products all over the place.  I'd never heard of Reefboxx, but see the obviousness of it's use and value.

1. I see two manual switches in your setup.   Did you add these, or they come with the setup?   (got a link?)

2. Does it come with it's own power brick (to the wall), or do you re-use the brick that came with your pump?

3. I did some research, ReefBuilders did an article in 2022 when this product came out.  

https://reefbuilders.com/2022/09/27/reefboxx-is-a-new-affordable-battery-backup-for-dc-reef-gear/

4. And the Reefboxx website says there's a version 2 coming out soon.  Looks like it can natively handle 36v in, if desired.  (that's three batteries in series).   But the biggest selling point looks like it comes with Two outputs.   I wonder if that means it needs a bigger input power brick?

Very interesting product, especially for pumps that don't offer the ecotech back up power port directly.  (which feels like basically, every other pump/power head out there)

image.png

image.png

50 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I love this hobby.   There are awesome products all over the place.  I'd never heard of Reefboxx, but see the obviousness of it's use and value.

1. I see two manual switches in your setup.   Did you add these, or they come with the setup?   (got a link?)

2. Does it come with it's own power brick (to the wall), or do you re-use the brick that came with your pump?

3. I did some research, ReefBuilders did an article in 2022 when this product came out.  

https://reefbuilders.com/2022/09/27/reefboxx-is-a-new-affordable-battery-backup-for-dc-reef-gear/

4. And the Reefboxx website says there's a version 2 coming out soon.  Looks like it can natively handle 36v in, if desired.  (that's three batteries in series).   But the biggest selling point looks like it comes with Two outputs.   I wonder if that means it needs a bigger input power brick?

Very interesting product, especially for pumps that don't offer the ecotech back up power port directly.  (which feels like basically, every other pump/power head out there)

image.png

image.png

I added the switches. They make it easier when doing water changes etc ... now that the main power switch is backed up.

TronicsPros 2pcs LED Strip Light Inline On/Off Switch Cable DC Jack (5.5x2.1mm) Male to Female Connector, DC Jack Switch, LED Tape Connector, 12V Inline Rocker Switch DC Power Adapter Connector https://a.co/d/1aingYe

The system uses the power brick for your pump.

It's all working great so far.

1 hour ago, obrien.david.j said:

1. I see two manual switches in your setup.  Did you add these, or they come with the setup?   (got a link?)

image.png

image.png

And here is an easy Ecotech battery replacement. This has an auto switch and uses a LiFePO4 battery instead of lead acid, so it lasts much longer. The one linked below is refurbished with a 2 year warranty. Way cheaper than Ecotech.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144819918766?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=fcvtjvdnswq&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=VvCQ6tlPRXG&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Screenshot_20240222-083158.png

Here's the DC cable that fits into cigarette lighter outlet.

GINTOOYUN 90 Degree DC 3.5mm x... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7RC7D7M?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Or this one for two pumps

ELECTOP 1 to 2 Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter Adapter Power Charger Port, 12V 24V Plug Socket 2-Way Splitter Y Adapter, 10 inch 16AWG Cigarette Lighter Extension Cord with 15A Fuse https://a.co/d/8OhYrmc